I heard that a black line appear on your belly. I have one but it is very light what does that mean?

newmamma17

Asked by newmamma17 at 5:12 PM on Jun. 9, 2009 in Pregnancy

• It's common in pregnancy, don't worry. It's called the linea negra. I believe it's also more common in darker skinned women.
    mommy_bink

Answer by mommy_bink at 5:18 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• Mine wasn't "black"...I had just a light tan one, it went from partly above my belly button down to my pubic area...and it's called a linea negra..or something of that sort, lol, and it's just part of the pregnancy thing, hormones can mess with your skins pigment.
    carliemarie1015

Answer by carliemarie1015 at 5:18 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• Basically the way we developed in the womb we started at the back and came around and forward to our tummy (when growing if that makes sense) so there's more pigment at the middle of our bellies. During pregnancy it can become darker like that for some women just because of the fluctuating hormones. Doesn't mean anything good or bad for the baby, just your skin changing is all. It will go away after a while once the baby is born.
    Anonymous

• i got a dark tan one... barely noticable and I still have a light line.. it never went away from what it looks like and my dd is 19 mo old!
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 5:23 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• Sometimes women get what looks like a very pale line, called a linea alba that never darkens to brown. In fact the linea alba can look like a shiny white line.

If its the shade of the line on your belly, then I would just contact your Dr and ask about it.

mommy_bink

Answer by mommy_bink at 5:24 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• I'm VERY pale and mine barely shows up at all.
    CamiiiCompasion

Answer by CamiiiCompasion at 5:25 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• is it ok if i have sex while i am preg
    newmamma17

Answer by newmamma17 at 5:26 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• its just a light line
    newmamma17

Answer by newmamma17 at 5:27 PM on Jun. 9, 2009