Is it right for the father of his children to take and keep his children from their mother, and then remarry and have his new wife adopt the children?

Long story short, my ex kept my children from me, by threatening me and filing false stalking charges on me. He told I was threatening to hurt his mother, which was a lie. He is now married to a woman who has 6 of her own children and last summer adopted my children. I lost my parental rights because I couldn't prove that I sent my kids letters and I tried calling. His family wouldn't let them know I called. I also have 6 children, and she is a social worker. My ex sister in law sent me a letter telling me not to contact my children anymore and that they told my children that I love them. Lies, lies, lies. Now I can't see them until they turn18. I could not afford representation, and the appointed lawyer did nothing to help me. Is this right?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:13 PM on Jun. 9, 2009 in Relationships

• No, but at the same time you must take responsibility for your own choices and actions. Regardless of the new wife, I would not give up and I would find a way to pay for representation and help. It is one thing to say, I'm sorry this happened, but another for YOU to decided how to pursue it. I feel there must be more to your story because the courts don't take away custody easily. The new wife may know the ropes because of her job, but you are still in charge of your life and how you live it. Good luck and fight---the right way.

Teachermom01

Answer by Teachermom01 at 5:21 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• i agree there must be more to it.... your kids ... i know i would be killing people if anyone took mine away, so there must be some underlying problem. keep contacting the courst at least for visitations something... good luck i feel very sad for you
    mirit.rose

Answer by mirit.rose at 5:26 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• I agree. It's not right w/o reason, but there's more to this.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 5:29 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• They don't sever parental rights bc someone doesn't call or write and it doesn't happen over night either. Like Laura says, there is more to this. Just be happy he found a good woman who loves your children and wants to be a good mom to them
    Anonymous

• It depends on the mother, I have 4 stepkids and they don't see their mother. They were taken away from her, by cps and handed over to my husband. But after everything, they never took her rights away and the kids were abused very badly while living with her. So your parental rights were taken away for much much more. If you can't accept what you've done wrong then you don't deserve the privledge of raising kids. If they are being loved and taken care of you should be happy for them. They are not personal possesions. Nor are they pawns in your game.
    Anonymous

• They don't terminate parental rights easily. You are leaving some details out, like why did you let your ex take custody, why you didn't have regular visitation, etc.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 6:00 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• My xh had his rights taken away while trying to contact his other xw. Hired an attorney and everything, sent certified letters and all. Hadn't seen his daughter since she was 8 mo at age 3 the court took his rights away! Then his xw new husband adopted the little girl. So trust me it does happen.
    luvbnmomnwife

Answer by luvbnmomnwife at 6:52 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• I am sorry you are hurting. I think your lawyer might not have advised you properly. Justice for Children might be willing to take on your case. But they will only do so if they think they can win. If there is more to your story than you are telling us, then the best lawyer and infra structure in the world can't help you.
    lilangilyn

Answer by lilangilyn at 7:40 AM on Jun. 10, 2009