Do you have a problem when your child is placed with children older than her in a classroom?

Well now you have an idea of what's going on in special education schools.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:54 PM on Jun. 9, 2009 in General Parenting

• As the parent of a child w/special needs in a mixed-age classroom, no, I don't have a problem with it. Here are a couple of reasons why.....

Being with older children has helped him to mature in ways that being with adults just couldn't because there are some things that children learn better from each other than they do adults, like age-appropriate socialization skills.

Having younger children in the classrom has allowed him to take on the role of leader, something he would've never had the chance to do in a standard classroom. Being a role model helped him to develop greater self-esteem & self-confidence to do & try more.

Tell me, why do you (OP) think it is such a bad idea to have mixed-age classrooms? (which, btw, in many states there is a limit on how far the age spread can be; here it is 3 grade levels max)
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 8:56 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• Mine would probably do better in that situation, but, he also isn't a special education student, so....
    I can't really say.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 5:57 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• No. Actually in other places and in some of the best schools (private) they group kids by interests and abilities rather than by age. It makes more sense. They also change for diff subjects etc. The all 5 year old model is really a factory and doesn't truly take the child and their indiv. needs into account.
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 6:21 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• My son prefers to play and be with older kids, so no, it wouldn't bother me. I actually wish more schools would integrate the ages more and not keep them so segregated - kids can make great teachers when given the opportunity. They remember what it's like being a kid and can help younger kids in ways that adults can't always understand.
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 7:18 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• My husband went to a small elementary school in a very small town. Several grades were grouped together in what was basically a one room schoolhouse. He said it was the best thing that could have happened for him because he learned a lot from listening to what the older kids were being taught. So I'm not sure that is a bad thing... sorry I hate to poop on your parade but that's the truth.

Comparing apples to oranges isnt' really effective when trying to get your point of view across.

anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 7:21 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• my son (turns four in September) goes to Montessori school, that is the idea behind Montessori preschool, grouping kids of different ages together to enrich learning, he has kids as old as 6 in his room, they really do the same things but process it on different levels.... it is not a bad thing at all to do, esp for the younger ones of the group. they learn a lot listening to the older kids, what could be more engaging. my son loves it.  btw they do have special needs students including one child with down syndrome in the school. 

AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 11:51 PM on Jun. 9, 2009