swollen feet...hot or cold soak?

so ladies I am 35 and a half weeks pregnant, have been drinking a ton of water today and have these huge swollen sausage looking feet that are sore. it is 87 outside and 81 inside (we have a window unit which is fighting to catch up- and fans, so inside our house is hot)
anyway I have epsom salt and foot fizzies to soak my feet in and I kind of want to use cold water because my feet feel super hot... but I think hot water would be a better long term fix... getting the swollen-ness and the pain down...what sounds best to you ladies?

also, hands are only moderately swollen and I have been to doc so I know it's nothing any more serious than water retention... Thanks in advance for your answers!

LuckyClown

Asked by LuckyClown at 5:55 PM on Jun. 9, 2009 in Pregnancy

• i looked like the elephant man the other night my feet got so bad.. triage said this.. avoid salt like the plague, soak them in HOT water (sorry :[) and elevate your feet higher than your heart for atleast 30 minutes.. and have your SO massage them, my husband did mine and it really did help a lot. good luck!
    USMC_Elisa

Answer by USMC_Elisa at 6:09 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• Well, before you soak them I would recommend laying on the couch with them high in the air for at least a 1/2 hour, but I always did mine for a whole hour.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 5:57 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• i did that earlier... still sausage-like... was somewhere between 30 to 60 minutes.
    LuckyClown

Answer by LuckyClown at 6:08 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• well usually when something is swollen u use ice, so cold water, like when u hurt something and it swells up u use ice
    Anonymous

• ach...Thanks USMC- i can do all of the above aside from getting my husband to massage my feet... he has an extreme aversion to feet- which normally works for me since I have a huge aversion to having my feet touched... (ticklish) but right now I would just love a good foot massage...sigh
    LuckyClown

Answer by LuckyClown at 6:15 PM on Jun. 9, 2009