Aren't we lucky?

Aren't we lucky to have the UN looking out for our best interests?
Oh, nevermind that North Korea thing and all of the other atrocities happening globally.
I am just so relieved that they are finally paying attention to the plastic bag issue.
Sarcasm aside, I can't believe anyone would depend on the UN to accomplish anything important. They want a global ban on plastic bags because of the toxins they put in the environment, but what are they prepared to do about NK and their nuclear developements?

http://www.bild.de/BILD/news/bild-english/home/regularieninhalte/world-news-ticker/world/2009/06/09/un-chief-calls-for-plastic-bag-ban.html

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:58 PM on Jun. 9, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• UN failures
    Darfur-ignoring the slaugher while at the same time passing a resolution against Isreals wall
    Rowanda- civilian slaughter while the UN looks on
    Sudan-UN does nothing while thousands are slaughtered
    Iraq-mandate after mandate ignored since the first golf war
    China- has one of the longest cruelest human rights records in the world, place on Human rights council of the UN

This list can go on forever but I think you get the point
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 7:28 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• Thank you for the information !!

Used to live down the street from the UN building.

Thought back then that New York ought to either collect rent for that HUGE facility, or evict the UN and free up lots of prime office real estate.
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 6:11 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• well think of it this way... when North Korea bombs us all the only toxins released into the air will be from the nuclear bombs and not the poisonous plastic bag ones!!!
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 6:19 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• I wonder if the UN has gotten the memo that nuclear weapons are toxic? I bet they would have something to say about it if NK stuffed their missiles with plastic bags. :oP

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 6:21 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• LOL and to think we got rid of paper bags in favor of plastic. Now they want to go back to paper? Ugh!
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 6:23 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• Okay, I am going to expose the treehugger in me and admit that I really like my reusable bags. They have sturdy handles and just fit more groceries in them.

Oh, has anyone see The Goode Family on ABC? It's hilarious.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 6:25 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

And the handles don't hurt your hands when you carry 5 at a time. But we digress...

The UN has been useless for decades, and the worst part is we pay the majority of their maintenance. I think we should just kick them out and let someone else pay for them, defend them, and cover up for all the diplomat's bad behavior due to "immunity." Just the lost revenue from parking tickets they get out of would be enough to help the debt.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 6:29 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• NP, will you run for POTUS?
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 6:31 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• Can't. Only Protestants can be elected.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 6:32 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• I'd vote back to paper-bags, I hate those plastic bags anyways, yeah paper!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    c.barbara

Answer by c.barbara at 6:50 PM on Jun. 9, 2009