Why do people keep to their own race in marriage?

Why, more often than not, do couples marry their own race? As much as people claim to be accepting of other races. Have we just not gotten to the point where we are that comfortable? Is it fear of what the other race may bring to the table? Is it more comfortable to date people who look like you?

IDK, honest question here so give me your thoughts. I don't want anyone afraid to state an opinion just because it's about race. If it is what it is, so be it.
Me and DH are sort of mixed, we look more black. Anyway, I was always too shy to date guys of other races (other than black) for fear that they would eventually leave me for their own kind.

aluvk4evr

Asked by aluvk4evr at 6:06 PM on Jun. 9, 2009 in Relationships

• GL on this one. Im gonna be nice and keep my mouth shut!
    Anonymous

• What is "sort of" mixed?
    diamondmamma

Answer by diamondmamma at 6:11 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• some people prefer that. there is no law saying you have to marry outside your race. and if you do great! if not great! too many people are trying to keep "RACE" an issue when people realize to shut up about it then we all can move on. you can't help who you fall in love with but no one should ever be ashamed of it.
    Anonymous

• I think it's fairly simple. We all look in the mirror every day and see someone of our own race - duh!?! But that's how we start to equate beauty - with ourselves. Those features are what we come to see as attractive. Not, saying that other races aren't attractive but subconsiously that's what we see as "normal" or "attractive" In turn that's what we are attracted to. I don't think it's really hard to understand.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 6:14 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• You cant put a "color" on who your going to be attracted to or who is going to sweep you off your feet. I guess some people are comfortable with dating someone of their race because of all the things they have in common. There is no deep explanation for it, its just the way it is.
    Anonymous

• Why didnt you date outside your race? You said you and your DH are "sorta mixed" and that you all look more black.
    Anonymous

• Um, I think people are inherently inclined to date people who look similar to them in gerenal- not just the same race but similar features. I'm pretty sure there have been studies on it. Even within a race, there are things I may not like. I don't find myself attracted to blondes but I don't hate the sweedes! You're really mixing up two different issues. I'm sure some people don't date others due to race, but that's not the case for normal people.
    mrs_pulley

Answer by mrs_pulley at 7:16 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• I am caucasion. I dated men I liked two african american guys, three hispanic guys, two asian guys but the man that I chose to give my heart to just happened to be caucasian. I did not worry about race I dated who I liked and did not worry about it. I will say the sisters of most of these men did not like their brother dating a "cracker" "white she devil" "white whore". It was very pathetic and did affect many of the relationships.
    Anonymous

• I dated who I was attracted to, mostly white guys. Its just personal preferance.
    abbynzachsmommy

Answer by abbynzachsmommy at 8:44 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• everyone should stay with their own its wrong to mix races its simple
    Anonymous