my 2year old is now throwing things all day every day no matter what they are. who knows what to do about this? who has experienced it? i dont wanna shrug it off as "oh hes just a boy" or "its just the terrible 2s" if its not normal for him to be doing this.

sexymommy25

Asked by sexymommy25 at 6:39 PM on Jun. 9, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My daughter tries to do the same thing. She's 19 months and everything she picks up, she wants to throw. I tell her if she throws it, she doesn't want it and I'm taking it away. I actually take it away and put it up. Her sippy cup, toys, her blanky! EVERYTHING! She is getting a lot better but we are still working on it.
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 6:42 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• My son who is 15 months has been doing this since he was a year old. I just tell him that its not nice to throw things, unless its a ball. He has been getting better about only tossing balls instead of everything in his grasp.
    NAT24ROXY24

Answer by NAT24ROXY24 at 6:46 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• yes it is normal. don't shrug it off though, let him know it's not ok to throw things. my son, who is 22 mos, does this too. I pretty much do what lilmama said, just take it from him && tell him that throwing things is a no-no.
    HisMommySince07

Answer by HisMommySince07 at 6:50 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• My 2.5yr old son does it sometimes. It's like he gets kicks out of doing it. He doesn't throw his soft balls, but will pitch wooden balls for his stacking game way over his head backwards or just in a random direction. When he is told off he smiles or does 'the cute look' and then picks up another one to test my reaction. He doesn't do it often though. It's like he just gets this surge of excitement.
    Anonymous

• Just because it's normal doesn't mean we should put up with the behavior. Time outs and taking the toy away are good ways to discipline him. You have to be consistent though.
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 7:33 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• This is definitely normal. My son is throwing things around right now as I am typing this. I just tell him to stop throwing things. Dont be surprised if the items start to come your way either...lol Hopefully they will grow out of that stage soon...... I hope.   toddler boysurrender

momofonewntmore

Answer by momofonewntmore at 7:40 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• normal, yes. acceptable, no. you need to take the items away and tell him no throwing. period. someone will get hurt. also if you don't get a grip on it now, you will pay for it, both in stress and dollars, down the road.
    princezzmommie

Answer by princezzmommie at 2:21 AM on Jun. 10, 2009

• THANKS EVERYONE!
    sexymommy25

Answer by sexymommy25 at 4:14 PM on Jun. 22, 2009