not sure what to do...........

DD will be 1 in like 2 weeks (13 days to be exact lol) and since shes been home from the hospital she has slept in her pack n play next to my bed/with me. DF wants me to put her in her crib as of her Bday because shes getting really hard to sleep with. My issue is im terrified of SIDS getting her. I know the chances are really low but i cant help but be afraid......any advice or words of wisdom welcome! also how can i make the transition on her easier?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:43 PM on Jun. 9, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Their is a moniter that if your baby stopped breathing, an alarm goes off. I found it really helpfull because it gave me a sense of security.
    NAT24ROXY24

Answer by NAT24ROXY24 at 6:44 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• she is also past the risk of sids, which is why they say at age 1 they can sleep however they want (tummy, side, back etc...) and they can have a blanket in the bed with them.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 6:51 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• My daughter has slept in her own crib since 2 months old and I still am fearful of something happening at 19 months. I get her asleep in her bed and go in just before I go to sleep to make sure she's ok. I talked to my dad and MIL about how scared I am leaving her in her room but they both said being scared for your child is a feeling that will never go away.
    As for sleeping, I found it easier if I made her room the calming down place just before bed. She still has her mothers heartbeat music playing everynight and I rock her until her eyes are almost closed and lay her down. I also ran into her room when I heard her wake up in the morning and now I leave her door open so she can come get me (she's in a toddler bed).
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 6:52 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• She'll be 1 year?? The risks at that age are SO minimal... an even sleeping right next to you... it wouldn't prevent it unless you are checking on her every second. If it would help you rest better get a movement monitor that detects breathing, it alarms after 15 seconds of no movement.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 7:01 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• Co-sleeping (which is sleeping in bed or next to mom) DOES prevent SIDS. However, you LO has pretty much passed this stage. If she is ready and you are ready move her to her room. I would put the crib next to my bed so she could get used to sleeping in the crib. Then gradually move the crib into her room.
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 7:14 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• At this point I would skip the crib, just leave her in her pack-n-play for a few more months and then let her try a big girl bed.

And the ladies above are right...she is far past the "high risk" age for SIDS.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 7:36 PM on Jun. 9, 2009