So, you can "buy" your blessings?

I've known about "tithing" and have discussed it with many people before. But I am afraid I still do not understand it. Do you tithe to buy more blessings from your God? Because from what I understand, many people state how they tithe the correct amount and their blessings have been that much more. What about poor people? What about people who can barely feed their family? Are they not blessed as richly?

sahmamax2

Asked by sahmamax2 at 6:46 PM on Jun. 9, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• You tithe to give back to God a portion of what he's given to you.
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 6:57 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• Hmm, how does a God benefit from physical money? And what about people who claim their blessings are that much richer BECAUSE they tithe?
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 7:26 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• I think the purpose is to keep the cycle of give and take properly in tact. Perhaps the premise is, the more you give freely, the more you open yourself up to receive. What you put out comes back to you, times three.
    TheEmpress78

Answer by TheEmpress78 at 7:39 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• Its not the money He is after , its being obedient to His word. What you sow you will reap.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 7:53 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• I'm still not seeing how giving money to a God, shows obedience or even teaches the lesson of "give and take". I'd think a God would be more intent on teaching humanity towards one another, through good deeds and mutual respect. Neither of which have anything to do with money.
    And doesn't God preach against greed? But yet he also requires it of you to show your obedience?
    This seems odd to me.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 8:01 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• here is what the bible says about tithing
    Genesis 14:20 – Melchizedek comes out to meet Abraham, as Abraham gives him a tithe of the spoils of his victory.
    Genesis 28:20-22 – After the vision of God’s renewed covenant, Jacob initiates a covenant with God vowing to give him a tithe of what he receives from the promised land.
    Leviticus 27:30-32 – The specifications of the tithe is introduced into the law of Moses.
    Numbers 18:21 – The tithe is dedicated the Levites for the work in the tabernacle.
    Deuteronomy 12:5-11 – God gives instructions for what to do with the tithe once Israel crosses the Jordan.
    hinson7169

Answer by hinson7169 at 8:50 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• Deuteronomy 14:22-29 – God gives instructions on how to disperse and exchange the tithe.
    Deuteronomy 26:12-15 – God gives instructions on how Israel should sanctify the tithe before they can ask for a blessing.
    2 Chronicles 31:5-12 – The children of Israel do what’s right under the reign of Hezekiah, and bring the tithes to the designated places.
    Nehemiah 10:37-38 – Israel obeys God and brings the tithes to the storehouse.
    Nehemiah 12:44 – Officers were appointed to watch over the tithes in the storehouse.
    Nehemiah 13:5-12 – Nehemiah cleanses the storehouse and kicks Tobiah out of the room that was designated to store the tithe. He then restores order.
    Amos 4:4 – God commands Israel to bring back the tithe and reiterates the curse that is upon them if they don’t.
    hinson7169

Answer by hinson7169 at 8:51 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• Malachi 3:8-10 – God reprimands Israel for not delivering the tithe, and reiterates the blessings and curse that would be in result of whatever decision they chose.
    Matthew 23:23 – Jesus rebukes the Pharisees for not obeying the weightier matters of the law along with tithing.
    Luke 11:42 – A parallel passage of Matthew 23:23 as Jesus rebukes the Pharisees for not obeying the weightier matters of the law along with tithing.
    Luke 18:12 – A Pharisee brags about his obedience to the law and tithing.
    Hebrews 7:5-9 – Abraham’s tithe is used to illustrate a change concerning the priesthood.
    hinson7169

• i tithe faithfully and were considered poor. the tithe helps for the buildings to have heating and ac. we also maintain a food storage for those in need and even a thrift store that if you need clothes you can get a bishops order for some even furniture. which i have used and other members of the church i know. also we have a huge humanitarian aid service that we maintain. we don't pay our bishops or any church leaders. all the tithe gathered goes right back to the members like i mentioned if you need food, clothing, social services like family counseling or individual counseling. the church also helps with your bills. we have had our bills paid when we both lost our jobs. that is how we feel our tithe takes care of us. we have had more then the 10% given back to us then what we paid. a 10% ois not really that much. for me it provides so much more when i pay it. i wouldn't have a beautiful temple to attend, the programs they
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 8:57 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• In my church, this is how the principle of tithing is taught. All money is God's and giving him ten percent of it shows our faith in him. We are blessed for our faith. No I do not pay tithing to get blessings, I pay it because it is commanded of me and because he has blessed me with the money I DO have while others suffer greatly. The tithing in our church is used to build the Kingdom of God through providing church buildings for worship and temples for necessary ordinances needed to return to Him. We are also commanded to pay something called "Fast offerings" which is another sacrifice we believe we are blessed for because we help others in many ways by paying them. Fast offerings go to helping others in need (from food to vaccines), in the church, out of the church, around the world. This is my charity through which I believe the best kind of work is done.
    "The widow's mite" in Mark chapter 12, great faith was rewarded.
    AngelPuff1012

Answer by AngelPuff1012 at 8:59 PM on Jun. 9, 2009