i need help budgeting..

i thought i was doing a pretty good job but i feel so broke..
i am 18 i work part time and go to school part time. i am married and i have a daughter that will be 2 on tha 25th i make tha min wage 8.00 an hr and work 24 hrs a week. my hubby doesnt work because he quit his job 2 go 2 tha army and it turned out he has sum court issues that he has to take care of first.. i need just little tips on budgeting please lol.. the cost of living out here in cali is just krazi...

bubbles282008

Asked by bubbles282008 at 6:48 PM on Jun. 9, 2009 in Money & Work

• You probably are doing a pretty good job, but $8/hr and 24 hours a week isn't much at all especially when you have 3 people to take care of. Your hubby should get a job and help you out until he goes to the army and all that is taken care of. You could also maybe find a second job working 15 more hours a week to give you your 40 hours. That's a lot for one person to have to deal with.

Have you tried getting government assistance?
    Anonymous

• If you are only working part time and your hubby is not working, he can get a part time job to help out til he gets all his stuff straightened out. If you have not already, go get WIC and Food Stamps and don't let anyone make you feel bad for doing it. You are working and going to school and your hubby is working on getting into the military. Use it while you need it.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 7:30 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• You may want to consider moving, I know it's hard, but it can sometimes be the best thing. If your husband is not working and u are underemployed, then is there much reason to stay? I moved by saving little ways- I started washing our clothes in the tub, shampoo and conditioner worked well. If you use a laundry mat, that money adds up. it Payed for the gas to get to the state we moved to. We went where there were more opportunities and my husband now has the best job he's ever had. The internet could be a big help looking for places to live-
    for budgets-try and keep track of what you spend- keep your receipts. Look for areas where you can cut back- such as did I really need certain items, can I buy less expensive ones?
    It may sound terrible, but have you or your husband considered donating plasma? it helps people and what they give you can add up as well. One big saver is putting plastic on your windows-
    LadyAronna

Answer by LadyAronna at 9:11 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• we suggested the plastic on the windows kit to our housemate and she said that she saved 30-50% on her heating bill after that! It's easy, you get a kit from a hardware store, and use a blow dryer on it. That is one of the biggest ways to save that I can think of. But cutting back here and there and doing what you can to make sure that those little purchases don't add up. It's the little here and a little there that blow the budget!
    Best of luck to you! Feel free to contact me if you want!
    LadyAronna

Answer by LadyAronna at 9:14 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• Past the age of 2,the only beverage humans need is water;don't buy juice,milk,soda,etc., except as a special treat.Cook from scratch.Replace meat with beans,lentils &tofu.Cook dried beans instead of buying canned.Whole grains,like whole wheat pasta, whole grain breads &brown rice,may cost more than simple grains,like white rice &pasta,but they are more filling &more nutritious,so they really are the better value.Frozen fruits &vegetables often cost less than fresh;they have the added advantage of having a longer shelf life &holding their nutrition longer.Once or twice a week have breakfast for dinner: yogurt with frozen blueberries &whole grain cereal or an omelet with veggies &a little bit of cheese &whole grain toast.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:46 AM on Jun. 10, 2009

• Before you go to the grocery store,plan your meals &snacks for the next 8days.Base your grocery list on your meal plan.Pull any necessary coupons.Eat before you shop.Buy only what’s on your list.The sales at the store are not to save you money,but to get you to buy more than you need;if you don't know for sure that you will use it in the next two weeks,don't buy it.If you would like some healthy &budget friendly recipes,feel free to contact me

Answer by rkoloms at 6:55 AM on Jun. 10, 2009