Why do Pastors get paid?

I never understood this at all. If someone has a 'calling', they shouldn't be paid for it. How can someone expect payment for delivering sermons, visiting parishners and administering to the needy when Jesus didn't get paid for doing the same thing?

The church I grew up in (and the one my husband and children still attend) even have people from the congregation come in and clean the church for the Pastor and his family when they have kids that are perfectly capable of picking up a mop or dusting themselves. The church pays for their food, clothing, shelter, cable tv... must be nice.

IhartU

Asked by IhartU at 6:55 PM on Jun. 9, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• My uncle is the preacher for our church. Members of the church come out and help clean and the money from the collection plate pays the bills. We don't pay my uncle. He is a plumber. I agree with you op. I think money and church should be separated. Which is why the church pays the bills, we keep some for rainy day repairs, and the rest goes to needy members or charity.

ajguinn

Answer by ajguinn at 8:20 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• they get paid b/c its still a job like any other and they need food, clothing, bills paid etc...if you felt you had a calling to do your job (teaching, cop, whatver it is you do, or if you don't work your spouse or whoever provides for you does) would you feel you shouldn't be paid just b/c you felt it was your calling to do so?
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 6:57 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• They have to make a living too.
    Anonymous

• Come one now, they have like a half an hour sermon to prepare and some visiting to do- maybe do some volunteer work. Jesus didn't take money for preaching, did he?
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 6:59 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• Its still a job.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 7:00 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• K, so they work a couple hours a week. Why are you complaining that they get paid for 3 hours of work?
    Anonymous

• What some don't get or won't admit that most if not ALL minsters get their housing free... their bills paid...by the congregation...
    Yes it's a job, but I don't think it should be a high salary job.... (JMO)
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 7:01 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• why would Jesus take money for preaching? He's Jesus! He saved you and is now spending eternity with God, why would he need money? I don't think circumstances are the same with your local pastor who has children and a family to feed.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 7:01 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• No one in Jesus' time got paid a salary like we do today. The very type of society that we have is different. Very few people are self-sufficient and grow their own food and build their own houses today. We're all quite interdependent. So it makes no sense to expect people of today to live like people did two thousand years ago. That being said Jesus was financially supported by his followers - Luke 8:1-4 indicates that. So pastors are paid by their followers.

And helping each other is something that is done in communities -- why be angry that people want to help the pastor? Helping each other is a good thing.
    eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 7:03 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• gmasboy, that's another thing... the Pastor at the church gets a free house- it's attached to the actual church, but it's got three bedrooms and was just re-modled after the last Pastor left.
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 7:04 PM on Jun. 9, 2009