Did you hear about the big HIB comeback?

I read about it again today. Kids that aren't being vaccinated are dying due to a HIB comeback. Something that has been eradicated years ago.. now coming back. How sad to lose a child due to something that can be prevented so easily. Now, here is the bad part. Innocent babies who are not old enough, dying due to other parents' negligence in chosing not to vaccinate their children. What do you think of this? I think we are going to see some parents being forced into vaccinating if this goes much further. How awful can this be? Do you see a need for these nonvaccinated children to be kept out of public? Aren't you scared of your child dying from a disease that we may not have a cure for because it's simply did not exist anymore, thanks to vaccinating. Vaccinating is what scientists have made to conquer diseases. What is your opinion of this tragedy in the making?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:13 PM on Jun. 9, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I can understand that some people choose not to vaccinate (or are told not to by drs) because their kids have had a reaction. On the other hand, as a nurse I'm concerned that it is becoming a dangerous trend for many others to avoid the vaccines based on the minority of kids who have had a problem with them. I don't think people should be penalized for not vaccinating, but it might be a good idea to keep very small babies away from other kids until they have had their shots.

HIB is a huge issue. Read up on epiglottitis. If you don't have reason to believe your child will definitely react to the vaccine, is it worth risking losing him or her to sudden airway closure?
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 11:01 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• My son is fully vaccinated. =D And he has autism! I do not believe that the vaccines caused my son's autism because he was always a little off. In some cases, I can see their concern. There is wayy too much mercury in vaccines, however I would rather risk that than my child's life. He is a healthy 18 month old. He is just delayed in a lot of areas. =)
    Krystal.Ingalls

Answer by Krystal.Ingalls at 7:19 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• i think its very sad, i havent had my dd vaccinated since she was 12 months, gonna be two soon but i am starting her back up on the vaccines at her 2 year check up, i chose to stop cause she got sick for like two weeks afterwards, throwing up, liquid poos, fevers that ended in the er, and constant ear infections, she was tiny though, she only weighs 20 pounds now, i think it was just too much for her little body to handle, and i didnt know i could selectively vaccinate then, but now i do and shell only get one at a time, and well go back every couple weeks for the next one.
    Anonymous

• can you post a link, i cant seem to find anything but something in MN CDC says they are watching.
    Soniam301

Answer by Soniam301 at 7:25 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• and that was 2008
    Soniam301

• and it was 5 cases.
    Soniam301

Answer by Soniam301 at 7:26 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vpd-vac/hib/providers-parents.htm
    Soniam301

Answer by Soniam301 at 7:27 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• Krystal-- I hear yah! Both of my children are autistic and they have will continue to receive their regular vaccination schedule--including the flu vaccine. I have a good friend who has a severely autistic child and NEVER vaxed her child--she also has 2 typically developing children who also were never vaccinated are ALWAYS sniffling and sneezing!

It's a shame that some parents think they are helping their children when they are really putting them at an uneccessary risk or having to suffer through a preventable illness and possibly death over the fear of autism, and the "evils of Big Pharma!"

As for the mercury, that has been removed from MOST vaccines (a little still exists in the Flu vaccine to help keep it stable so millions of doses can be made), and in countries where Thimerisol was removed more than a decade ago, autism rates continue to rise.

I blame low amniotic fluid and high billirubin levels for their autism
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:30 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• I have vaccine sensitive children...It would be negligent for me to expose them to the vaccinations, and risk their lives, and well being. My oldest is vaccine injured, and my second child has issues from her whole 2 sets of shots as well. It has been proven that through me genetically they are sensitive. If you don't like it, and don't trust your vaccinations then keep your children away from mine. As time goes on the current vaccines will fail (much like some antibiotics do now). Diseases mutate with time. I won't say a word for someone vaxxing their child, but do not hound me over a medical reason for not vaxxing mine. There are 2 cases of bacterial menangitis within 20 miles of me right now....not in children, but in *gasp* college students.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 7:35 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• I don't want our government mandating vaccinations. I vax my kids, but believe people should have a choice on how they raise their own.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 8:15 PM on Jun. 9, 2009