Picky eater syndrom!!! I'm going to go insane!

here is the list of food my son will eat:
pop tarts, waffles, pancakes, english muffins, toast, pb&j sandwich, grilled cheese, fries, chicken nuggets, cheese and crackers, noodles (have to be plain), chips ( i buy the ones with the fruit and veggies in them).

That's it. short list huh? so i'm at a loss. what do i do? i get sick of him eating the same thing over and over...if i cook dinner, and it's not anything listed above, i even make it to the point where if he doesn't eat, he goes to bed hungry. which obviously, he could care less about.

getting him to eat hot dogs, mac & cheese, hamburgers, veggies, fruits, ect, you know the normal stuff kids eat, is a hassle. uugghh i'm at my wits end. you can't even hide anything in what he eats!

I give him V8 Fusion, but is that even enough???

HELP!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:15 PM on Jun. 9, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• give him half a flinstones vitamin a day (that is what my doc recommended for my daughter) and just keep introducing new stuff. my daughter is 3 and this works for her i give her a plate w/whatever we are eating on it. if she asks for something else i tell her she has to take some bites first. then i turn it into a game. she takes a bite, asks for whatever again, then i make her take another one and normally i can get her to eat at least half before she gets stubborn and says she took enough bites. then if she still wants whatever it is she wants i'll give it to her as long as its not making a whole new meal. ( a sandwich, strawberries whatever it is) if she flat out refuses i give her a piece of bread and thats it. i don't like the idea of sending her to bed hungry shes too young for that IMO but i won't go out of my way if she won't at least try what was made.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 7:21 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• My son is the very same way. In fact, his eating list may be shorter than that. I have been giving him the V8 Fusion just so he can have so type of fruit and vegetables. I have even went out and bought that Chef Boyardees Ravioli with a full serving of Vegetable in it and he like it. He couldnt even tell the difference between that and the regular raviloi. Tonight, I made him his leftovers from last night which was chicken strips, broasted potatoes, and cheesy broccoli and he still will not eat it. My DH is the same way. Its hard to figure out what to make for dinner sometimes because my DH and DS eat the same things over and over without any compromising. They are very, very, very picker eaters. I truly understand what you are going through....lol
    momofonewntmore

Answer by momofonewntmore at 7:31 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• i've tried the gummy and the hard vitamins...he won't even eat that. i should have mentioned that he doesn't eat candy, unless it's a sucker. only reason he gets those is cuz the doctors give it to him when he has an appt. and he doesn't even eat all of it. just licks it a couple times and he's done. compromising...i've tried that too. eat this and i'll give you that...he looks at me and gives me his food. he doesn't like anything with sauce on it, so the ravioli is out too. *sigh* what to do, what to do...
    Anonymous

• Don't "compromise" with him... it's the same as bribing and teaches him that the first food is SOOOO bad that he has to be brided to eat it.
    At each meal, fix one thing he will eat. Vary the food group of that item throughout the week to help balance his diet.
    Put about 2 bites worth of each item on his plate, put the plate in front of him, and then ignore him. Just eat your own meal.
    Don't praise him for trying something. Don't ask him if he likes it. Don't comment about anything he eats - or doesn't - at all. This is food. He CAN eat it. Let him decide if he wants to.
    Have set meal times and 2 set small snack times each day. No food if it's not time to eat.
    No milk at meals. He may fill up on it and not eat.
    If he's under 24 months, you can give him something really boring just before bedtime if he refused dinner. Better yet, serve that boring this with dinner. After 2, he can go hungry til morning.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 8:39 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• consider yourself lucky! LOL for months my dd practically lived off ----waffles or oatmeal for breakfast... grapes/strawberry as snacks..... mac-n-cheese for dinner...
    And once we started buying her vitamins ---- we bought 3 or 4 bottles before we figured out she ONLY likes the gummy sour kind.. Uggg...
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 9:38 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• It's all normal. He'll start to eat different things as he gets older, just keep trying to introduce him to new foods. Eventually he will all of the sudden like something new. Just tell yourself that the majority of other Moms go through this too, and blow it off. :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:49 AM on Jun. 10, 2009

• HA! My 16 month old son's list looks like this:

Crackers.
    PotatoMama

Answer by PotatoMama at 4:11 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• By two, your child should be eating what you eat - a well rounded diet of fruits, vegetables, whole grains, beans, etc.
    Set a great example and keep offering a variety of healthy foods. Poptarts are toxic: white flour and high fructose corn syrup are bad foods.
    Make whole grain waffles and pancakes, and put on a bit of suflower butter or nut butter; make sure the crackers are whole grain, and serve them with hummus or mashed avocado; the noodles should be whole grain; the fries should be baked sweet potato or baked acorn squash.
    Diets like this are why this country has high rates of obesity and diabetes.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:50 PM on Jun. 12, 2009