A frosting recipe that will hold up in the heat??

For my son's first birthday, we're having a beach party. The only thing I haven't settled on for the party is his cake. I don't know of any recipes for frosting that hold up well in the heat, so if anyone knows of any, please share!
I've also thought about doing a pineapple upside down cake or some other cake that I don't need to frost. What do you think about that?
Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

MicahsMom612

Asked by MicahsMom612 at 7:17 PM on Jun. 9, 2009 in Food & Drink

• wow, pineapple upside down cake sounds amazing. I sort of wish I could come. I have not had that since my grandmother made it when I was a little girl. Your son is a lucky boy! Great idea.

Answer by admckenzie at 12:42 AM on Jun. 10, 2009

• royal icing will hold up well. google it.
    princezzmommie

Answer by princezzmommie at 1:50 AM on Jun. 10, 2009

• Most frostings that have shortening in them don't hold up in the heat. Yes, royal icing will hold up but it's hard and can seem tasteless. Boiled icings can separate. Covering the cake with fondant would hold up the best but not everyone likes the taste or texture of fondant.

If you are making the frosting, you can add more powdered sugar for a stiffer frosting that would hold up longer; it could be hard to spread though.

How about keeping the cake refrigerated until you leave, then putting it in a cooler with ice packs and not taking it out until it's time to add the candle, cut and serve?
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 8:04 AM on Jun. 10, 2009