How do you price garage sale items?

My mom is having a garage sale and I am selling some things, but am unsure how to price them. Any suggestions?

MizzNicole

Asked by MizzNicole at 7:18 PM on Jun. 9, 2009 in Money & Work

• think about what you paid for the item and how old it is...how much would you be willing to pay for that certain item at a garage sale. Kids clothes I sell for .50 cents to a dollar. if people buy a whole bunch of clothes I just give them a set price. I had a yard sale and for the baby equipment like strollers, car seats, high chairs, etc. I wanted at least half of what I paid for them.
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 7:20 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• i usually dont price anything, if someone is interested i tell them how much i want for it
    mandielynn23

Answer by mandielynn23 at 7:27 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• IMO there are 2 ways: you price them higher than you want for them, and let people talk you down.

OR, depending on how bad you want them gone, you price them low so you can just plain get rid of it. lol.
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 7:31 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• oh yeah, or you have them give you a price, and you negotiate...that's an option too
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 7:32 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• Be reasonable with how you price them. Take into consideration the age, if it has any defects (chipped, not working too properly ), the usefulness of that object, size, and quality of the material.

Miss-Baby-Baker

Answer by Miss-Baby-Baker at 7:36 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• i usually price according to what i would pay for an item unfortunately i'm so cheap i probably wouldn't make much money at all. at least all the junk would be gone.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 9:39 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• I advertised my last yard sale as a "Let's Make a Deal" yard sale. I didn't even list in the ad what I had for sale. When people arrived, I let them make offers and said yes a lot and no a little bit. Saved lots of time and still made lots of money.
    sparrowprincess

Answer by sparrowprincess at 11:10 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• i personally can't stand going to yard sales where nothing is priced. like i really wanna ask someone, 'how much is this?' or 'how much do you want for this?' while I'm just trying to shop...it's annoying. price things pretty cheap, people normally won't spend a ton on stuff at yardsales. if you want more- go the ebay route.
    luvr4ula

Answer by luvr4ula at 2:38 PM on Jun. 10, 2009