I hate breastfeeding :( !

My son is 7 months old now and I can't wait till he is weaned. I feel like a bad mom that I don't want to breastfeed him anymore. It was really wonderful for the first 6 months. But now it just feels like a hassle. Is something wrong with me that I don't want to breastfeed him anymore?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:18 PM on Jun. 9, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• If only perfect people were allowed to give advice, no one would get any.
    Anonymous

• aww..dont feel bad my son would not take a bottle at all..till he was 9 1/2 months old..only boob but he actually weaned himself off by 12 months
    guitarmom101

Answer by guitarmom101 at 7:20 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• Nah nothing wrong with you, and most likely that feeling will pass. I had it for awhile....I was super depressed when she weaned.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 7:20 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• Nothing's wrong with you. You just want your body back. I did, too. Our bodies were made for breastfeeding, but it is a choice. You have given him a good start by nursing for the first 7 months. I weaned my dd at around 8 months, slowly. And I miss it sometimes, too.
    Indygirl18

Answer by Indygirl18 at 7:22 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• I go through phases so I really recommend you wait it out awhile before you decide to wean. You might regret it. Some days I feel like I could just jump out of my skin if I have to nurse her one more time. But like I said, it's phases for me. Part of being a mom is doing what's best for the baby and not what is more convenient.
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 7:24 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• You have given your child seven wonderful months of breastfeeding. While I am a strong advocate for BF, I am also one who says you should listen to your own feelings about when to quit.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 7:24 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• nope nothing wrong with it. i did for the first 3 months. it's physically and emotionally draining...and those that never breastfed may not see how that's possible, but it is. i know alot of mom's, who before they had kids were all for the breastfeeding, and i told them that if they changed their minds and wanted to go to the bottle, not to let anyone make them feel like a bad mom. "oh no" they all said, "it will be easy". so far all but one of them have switched to the bottle, and talking with the one the other night, she said the only reason why she hasn't switched over is cuz her baby refuses the bottle. she swears she won't breastfeed her next one lol.
    so no, don't worry, it's perfectly normal
    Anonymous

• There were times when I was annoyed with it, but then by the end of nursing I was savoring everything, and now I miss it (and yet at the same time, am glad I'm not nursing a toddler)! Just take it in stride, and hopefully this feeling is passing :)
    sfwilson

Answer by sfwilson at 7:33 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• This too shall pass :) I began to hate it after she turned one. We still made it to 21 months because I knew it was best for her!
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 7:35 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• I was starting to feel that way around that time and I felt like a bad mom. Then in the mother's room at church one Sunday two other ladies were in nursing their children. One had a 9 month old and said she's been trying to get him on formula for the past couple months but he's not taking to it even though her other 3 children always switched just fine at 7 months.

The other lady's baby was a newborn, but she said that with all her other kids except one she would switch to formula between 6 and 10 months.

It was so nice to hear them talk about it with no guilt, and not trying to shame the other one about formula feeding because on here it feels like all I've heard is that I "must keep trying" and that I need to nurse for at least a year! It was nice to hear people act totally normal about switching before a year.

It's a personal choice, so don't feel bad if you decide to stop. You wouldn't want to resent your child.
    Anonymous