Do you buckle your child in a seatbelt every time you get in the car?

I do! My 10 and 12 year old boys are always buckled up properly, and my 5 year old little girl is always in her booster seat. Just read this story about a SUV that was hit by another car, and it rolled over. There were 6 children, 2 pregnant women and a man inside and none of them were wearing their seatbelts. 2 of the children and one of the women was ejected from the vehicle. They were airlifted to the hospital. The others who managed to remain in the vehicle were all treated for minor injuries. Police say if they had all been wearing a seatbelt they probably would all have walked away from it. I know the accident was not their fault and like most people, they probably thought it couldn't happen to them but you can't control what other people do on the road. This other driver is suspected of being high while driving. Buckle your kids, please.

AprilDJC

Asked by AprilDJC at 7:52 PM on Jun. 9, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• OF COURSE! I really thought you were going to say you didn't! Thank God, we're all smarter in here!
    Harrisonsmommie

Answer by Harrisonsmommie at 8:53 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• http://www.komonews.com/news/local/47429032.html
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 7:52 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• absolutely....only they buckle themselves..and hubby and I always without fail buckle up
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 7:53 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• Always.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 7:53 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• April are you in WA?
    mamakirs

• Yeppers. Unless we're just driving around the yard for whatever reason doing chores.
    MommaTurbo

Answer by MommaTurbo at 7:56 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• No I personally don't buckle them... but they know that I won't move the car until they've buckled themselves in. I don't think I need to do it since they are all 7 yrs old and older. I worked in the ER of a Children's Hospital so I saw first hand what happens when kids don't buckle. It's not pretty.

Anonymous

• My vehicle does not move until everyone is secured.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 8:01 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• Absolutely. My children had two friends (brothers) who bought an older fixer-upper V W bug. They had ordered their seat buckles but were driving in the car before they were installed. On their way one morning after a round of tennis with my baby brother, they ran off the road, and both were ejected from the car. Both dead on the scene.
    lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 8:05 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• Absolutely! My child is always secure.
    LuvBug3

Answer by LuvBug3 at 8:11 PM on Jun. 9, 2009