No matter how much I brush her there is still more... help please!

I have an 8 month old German Shep. She leaves her hair ALL over the house all the time and I am so tired of it! It doesn't matter how much I brush her there is still more... I brushed her for almost a half an hour today straight and she was still filling up the brush every 30 seconds. Is there a certain way I need to brush her? Or a certain kind of brush I'm suppose to be using?? The fur is beyond rediculous... I'm sure its not like this with every dog or how would people stand having them inside all the time?? Its driving me crazy! Please help/tell me what to do about this. I don't like having to put her outside all the time, she doesn't get enough attention that way.... Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:57 PM on Jun. 9, 2009 in Pets

• She's losing her puppy fur because her grown up dog fur is growing in. There's not a whole lot you can do about it, that's just what they do! My border collie pup is doing the same thing right now, thank god she's an outside dog because there is fluffy balls of hair all OVER outside! And as far as i know, german shepherds shed a LOT their whole lives. Sounds like ya just need to get used to it!
    MommaTurbo

Answer by MommaTurbo at 8:00 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• I've heard too much shedding can be because of diet. Talk with your vet about it.

timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 8:05 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• If you take her to a groomer, they'll do a "de-shedding" on her (I groom). They'll bath her, but while she's loaded with soap, they'll force dry her. That'll blow out so much fur. Then they'll wet her and shampoo her again, and then force dry her again. You'll be amazed. DO NOT BE TEMPTED TO SHAVE ANYWHERE ON HER. You know the GSD has a strong undercoat. They're working/herding dogs, which mean they are built for all temperatures. They stay cool in the summer and warm in the winter due to their undercoat. Get a "slicker brush". You can get it at any pet store. It'll pull out all the loose undercoat. But be careful you don't press it into her skin too hard, it'll scratch her skin.
    Hope it helps!
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 8:09 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• i use a shedding blad or a metal curry brush on my german sheperd...its a lot cheaper them taking him to a groomer every month...in the spring when he sheds the most i spend a hr a day brushing him and then i let my dd brush him intill he get sick of it.
    rainmommy

Answer by rainmommy at 10:26 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• yes there is a tool that gets the hair underneath the coat that is loose. And it may also be the diet she is on.
    IraqiVetWife

Answer by IraqiVetWife at 11:52 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• There are lots of products for shedding out there. One of which is a shampoo called shed-x. There are brushes that help with the undercoat as well. Aside from that, a lot of shedding is usually a sign of a bad diet. Try switching her food over to something with less grain. Lamb is a great ingredient for the eyes and coat. Good luck.
    youngfirsttimer

Answer by youngfirsttimer at 12:51 AM on Jun. 10, 2009

• I noticed a lot less shedding from my German Shepard when I fed her the BARF diet. Since that isn't an option right now, i supplement with cod liver oil on her kibble.
    HeidiConnell

Answer by HeidiConnell at 8:51 AM on Jun. 10, 2009

• I groom as a profession. If shedding in June is a sign of a bad diet, then 9 our of 10 dogs that I see every week are on a bad diet. haha
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 1:12 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• also try ani shedding treats, works for my dog
    Albi1623

Answer by Albi1623 at 3:33 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• You don't want the poor dog to NOT shed, it needs to get rid of the fur, otherwise they wouldn't have been Divinely designed to shed.

Do use an undercoat rake. Those tend to work best for me... we have collies and an australian shepherd that I use it on.
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 10:24 PM on Jun. 10, 2009