Fever In 9 week old

My 9 week old little girl has been sleeping most of the day and when she is up she is really crabby and crying. She has been eating, but has a fever as of an hour ago of 100.4. Do I need to take her in or just keep an eye on her??

ilovemyjo2

Asked by ilovemyjo2 at 8:19 PM on Jun. 9, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I would take her in just cuz shes so little and if it is something, better to catch it early. I think they say a temp of 100.5 take them in but she's SOOO close....
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 8:21 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• i would take her in just to be on the safe side. it is better to be safe than sorry.
    rose549

Answer by rose549 at 8:23 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• i would just keep an eye on her for a while. let her lay around in just a t shirt or just a diaper.
    I read something a minute ago that said if a baby 8 weeks old and younger have fevers, their bodies are less likely to have the antibodies to fight off infection and is an emergency. However, after 2 months they are more likely to fight it.

did she just get vaccinated? been around anyone with a cold or virus? give her some infant tylenol.

if this does not work I would take her in to be seen.
    good luck
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 8:25 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• Thanks everyone, I have had her in a onesie for the past couple of hours. She got her shots almost 2 weeks ago now so I don't think it is that. But has been around a lot more kids, 8-9 year old little girls that are just oohing and ahhing over her. Just afraid she got something from them. Think I am going to wait it out a little bit more and we will go from there!
    ilovemyjo2

Answer by ilovemyjo2 at 8:30 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• I would call the doctor with a fever in a baby so young. Besides that your only other option would be to breastfeed breastfeed breastfeed! There is nothing better.

Anonymous

• Any baby that is under 3 months with a fever should be seen asap...
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 8:58 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• when my newborn (5weeks) had a fever of 101.4 he was in the hospital for three days, on and iv and had to have a spinal tap. fevers in newborns should not be taken lightly
    abelsmama07

Answer by abelsmama07 at 9:08 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• Really weird that you posted that...I have been having these same symptoms with Carter. He hasn't been eating as good as he had been either.
    mcpeterse1127

Answer by mcpeterse1127 at 9:19 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• Call your pediatric (they should have a doctor-on-call or a nurse line) and see what they say. I don't think it is considered fever until 101.5? But I am not a doctor, and I could be very wrong. If she is acting lethargic or extremely sleepy, I would take her into an urgent care clinic or a walk-in if possible. If there's none, go to the emergency department. Better safe than sorry.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:01 AM on Jun. 10, 2009

• casll your doctor right now. didnt they tell you that any baby that young you cannot mess around and try to figure it out on your own? a very young baby like that can have permanent damage from a fever, even one not too high, call them right now.do NOT wait and see....
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 1:02 AM on Jun. 10, 2009