• In the Spotlight:

Would you?

buy gently used things for your baby? like stroller or carseat or swings or playpens and even clothes? I dont have alot of money and here in my city the have a store with gently used baby items that you can buy not really expensive. I got a few things and of course I am going to wash them. But another older lady told me that I should not buy used things for my baby. I guess she dont understand that I am not working and my boyfriend works a part time job and we dont have alot of money.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:20 PM on Jun. 9, 2009 in Pregnancy

• sorry but who ever told you that has a strange sence of reality, almost everything I buy is used.
    I make sure its in good condition and clean it with bleach but even my clothes I bought used.

My son is just gonna pee, and poop, and spit up and slober them all, and what he doesnt can be giving to the next mama that needs it!
    there is no point in buying things new when you can get good things for less money-
    You need to consentrate your money on the things you cant buy used, like diapers, binkeys, bottles, baby wipes formula (if you need it)
    worry about the important things like keeping a roof over your head and less about what people think, just make sure everything you buy gets cleaned in bleach, and the clothes washed.
    any stuffed animals clean with the stuff that kills lice and eggs-
    you'll be fine!
    judith_visco

Answer by judith_visco at 8:24 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• Just make sure the carseat isn't over 5 years old, at that point they are out of date.
    HolliBerry21

Answer by HolliBerry21 at 8:24 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• i got hand me downs for my first baby......now im on my 3rd, and im not planning on buying anymore new stuff
    guitarmom101

Answer by guitarmom101 at 8:25 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• o yea i noticed that.....printed on car seat there is actually an experation date
    guitarmom101

Answer by guitarmom101 at 8:26 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• heck that was mostly what we had for our daughter. try yard sales, family members for friends, or a flee market. as long as you disinfect everything i say go for it. buy what you can afford and don't let anyone look down on you for it. need any other advice fell free to send a message and congrates on your new baby. i wish i could have another one. (maybe some day)
    rose549

Answer by rose549 at 8:26 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• heck yeah. my dd is a slob lol she spits food everywhere when she eats its not worth it for me to spend a ton of money on clothes she will ruin anyways. dont let anyone tell you its wrong....unless they plan on supporting your child with high end clothes all his/her life lol
    Kennadismom

Answer by Kennadismom at 8:29 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• I'm about to have my second and we cought 90% of her clothes at garage sales. There are a few things we want to buy new, but you can bet if we can find them used and in good condition we will buy them that way. The lady who told you that obviously doesn't care about spending money on an outfit just to have it spit up on......
    ajguinn

Answer by ajguinn at 8:33 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• I gave all the big stuff... car seat, bouncer, swing... to my friend after my 1st daughter outgrew it... When I found out I was pregnant with #2... I got all the big stuff from rummage sales... except the car seat, I found an adorable pooh bear car seat on sale and couldn't pass it up!!! Of course I washed everything... but hey, you gotta do what you gotta do. I got quite a few newborn outfits at those rummage sales too!!! I love rummage sales!!!
    kayla_trinity

Answer by kayla_trinity at 8:34 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• O yeah I would definitely buy used things!! On clothes just wash them, On a stroller and car seat just make sure that you clean them very well and use something Lysol to disinfect them! I don't care what anybody thinks about me buying my kids used things or clothes! Hey you can find some really nice things out their!! Why spend a lot of money when yo don't have to!! I love to go to yard sales and places like other mothers!! Things are tight for a lot of people right now so you do what yo have to do! Don't let anybody tell you what to do!! Your baby is not going to know the stuff is used and neither dose anybody else!!!

SD777

Answer by SD777 at 8:34 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• I buy stuff from the consignment store for my kids all the time. The only thing I would not buy from there is something that looks really old or carseats. Once carseats have been in an accident they are supposed to be thrown away. Who knows what people are bringing in. You have to watch out for recalls too. I did buy something and then found out it was under recall and was able to get the "fix" for it. It's a great way to make money too. When your kids outgrow stuff then you can take it in and get money for it.
    sadira29

Answer by sadira29 at 8:40 PM on Jun. 9, 2009