Are female dogs better with young kids?

I want to get a dog for my kids and am curious which gender is usually better for kids, if either one is. I was thinking a female would since she would have more of a motherly instinct. Also I think the females are less likely to "hump" things and lick themselves down there. Am I right on this or completely off? Thanks so much!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:28 PM on Jun. 9, 2009 in Pets

• in my experience, you are off. Female dogs hump and lick too, some more than the males. It depends on the dog itself...they have different personalities, just like us.

As far as the male or female thing...We have a male black lab and he is wonderful with Kaylee. Anytime she makes noise in the middle of the night he is right at our bedside making sure we heard her, he keeps her clean, he follows her all over the house and outside, and he lets her crawl all over him, yank on his ears, tail, lips, etc. and doesn't even blink an eye.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 8:31 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• I've had both male and female dogs and prefer the female because she doesn't smell another dog in heat and run off. My male dog didn't hump anything, both gender's clean themselves. If you do get a female, get her fixed as soon as you can. It seems that if a dog has become a mother she get's bossy and might bite someone around her puppies, even your kids.
    Anonymous

• i prefer females but i did have a wonderful male dog i got from the pound. he is gone now and i'm left with all females. i don't think i will get another male dog unless he is neutered and has never sprayed. i got a male boxer not long ago and couldn't train him to stop so i rehomed him. i can't stand my drapes being peed on.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 8:43 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• it depends on the dog. I have had both male and female dogs and can honestly say it's the dog and not the sex or breed.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 9:32 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• Both male and female hump things. It can be a dominance thing they do. Also, both can be gentle and loving if treated right by the owner and training if necessary. We have both, but my favorite right now by far are both males. One male Chihuahua and a male Pomeranian. They're sooo sweet.
    lighthousemom3

Answer by lighthousemom3 at 11:16 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• Depends on the dogs personality. Most pets feel that children are their siblings.
    IraqiVetWife

Answer by IraqiVetWife at 11:51 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• As far as the licking goes, I have two females and they lick their butts all the time. One of them will lick and lick and lick and the sound just drives me nuts. I will have to tell her to knock it off about three times before she finally does. One of mine will hump the other on very rare occasions but with her it's a dominance thing. Otherwise neither of them hump. And both of mine were spayed around 5 or 6 months so I don't feel that either one of them have any sort of motherly instinct. The older one didn't act motherly when we got the younger one. She was gentle with her, but I wouldn't say she was motherly toward her.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 12:04 AM on Jun. 10, 2009

• Oh and I should add that our baby is still in my belly so we don't know how they are with babies. :)
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 12:05 AM on Jun. 10, 2009

• i have two females that aren't fixed and i grew up with males so i can tell this female tend to young children ( fallowing, protecting, mothering as well) be prego as i am they act different around me than they did one loves to listen to my belly well the other gets protective over the babies things lol. they are different at play too it depends on the child really cuz there are some they wouldn't play with at all. males are great for boys or school age children that play run and understand the dog they tend to be more laid back. the breed will be the true factor for you to look into
    mom2bedec2009

Answer by mom2bedec2009 at 12:48 AM on Jun. 10, 2009

• Males are way less dominant that females with their territory. Although males like to mark, that is about as far as they will go. Females tend to nip more often, the can become aggressive if they feel they are being encountered in a wrong way. Spaying helps but I have had dogs all my life and I can tell you, theres a reason for the word "Bitch". lol.. Also, males bond better with humans than females do. Good luck :) Oh and adopt!! :)
    youngfirsttimer

Answer by youngfirsttimer at 12:49 AM on Jun. 10, 2009