What is the difference.......???

Hi ladies!! It might sounds silly but I would love to know what is the difference between Adoption Agencies when their website addresses ends on " .com " " .net" OR " .org" !?!??!
I mean, I need to choose one to work with I am feeling a little overwhelm right now. Too many to choose from, all of then offering the moon and the stars....but I still hesitate to choose one.
Am I getting crazy or what!?
I would love to get opinions, agencies' names, experiency ( + or - ) etc etc. PLEASE......!??!

mysa

Asked by mysa at 8:52 PM on Jun. 9, 2009 in Adoption

• typically .com is a for profit organization (although not always) and .org is a non-profit organization
    finallyamom40

Answer by finallyamom40 at 10:10 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• I have used Catholic Charities and found the two offices I've used to be very thorough. The second one required us to read 8 books on open adoption and adoption-related issues. At the time I thought it was overkill, since I was in school almost full-time and using no daycare, but I learned a lot. The offices I used are very committed to helping the bmoms and will take aparents to task if they learn that they are not keeping in touch as they agreed. I understand that is not the case with every CC office. I've seen a couple of bmoms here who said they were not happy with them. I guess you have to look at each individual office because they all set their own policies.

Look at things like age limits, requirements for length of time married, requirements of church membership or a certain religion, and how much support they give the bmoms. I remember - the search is overwhelming.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 10:34 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• My biggest advice would be to narrow it down to a couple and then ask for experiences here or in yahoo groups. Size to me is an important factor. IBigger is not always better.

I adopted successfully twice so I am not complaining but if I had to do it again, I would have never used the place that I did.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:05 AM on Jun. 10, 2009

• Honestly, I'd go with LDS Family Services. I'm not sure if you HAVE to be LDS to adopt from them, (you might have to be), but at least you would know that your baby was clean, not an alcohol baby (since they don't drink or do drugs or smoke... well, at least the ones who live according to the mormon standard LOL I can't speak for all of us we're not all perfect). But you could try. LDS Family Services is really a lot like a more private adoption vs the money grubbing agencies who hold children hostage and play with hopeful potential adoptive parents' heart strings. (I know, I was one of those hostage babies 22 years ago). Hope that helped a bit.
    Anonymous

• As a B-mom I use Bethany Christian Services ( http://www.bethany.org/) Now I had already picked a family I had met privately and this is the service they were using.

chrissmom734

Answer by chrissmom734 at 9:29 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• Any agency/facilitator/lawyer/crisis center, whom profits from a successful adoption, is not a "good" agency. Any of the previously mentioned, whom does not have licensed, unbiased, non-affiliated therapist, for "you', the expectant mother, is not a trust-worthy agency. All will be extremely nice, for their goal is to profit from the 'sale" of your child, most time to the highest "bidder". There are many loving, couples/singles, whom wish nothing more than to offer a home of safety, and love, but will never get that chance, because their funds are not high enough. I wish you luck. When choosing someone to find your child a home, it is a gamble,one I wish no mother had to take, but this is just me. When doing so, check their back-grounds, check with other mothers whom relinquished, then check their backgrounds further, for one cannot check back far enough...believe, this is a leeson, I wish I could have learned...C.J.:)
    ceejay1

Answer by ceejay1 at 7:33 AM on Jun. 11, 2009

• C.J. - I know that your experience with adoption as a bmom was horrendous, and I'm amazed that that man is still allowed to do "business". He may have taken bids, as you said, but the majority of agencies now have set prices. Any agency taking bids would raise red flags for me. With our first adoption, the agency fee had been $10,000 but they dropped it to $5,000. With our second adoption, the fee was $12,000 but they dropped it to $10,000 after looking at our individual financial circumstances. What you say may be true in some cases, but it is certainly not true in every case.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 12:11 AM on Jun. 14, 2009

•                    THANKS ladies for all your answers and inputs!! They all are highly appreciated!!
    happy

mysa

Answer by mysa at 10:35 AM on Jun. 14, 2009