PRE MARITAL CLASSES

HAS ANYONE ATTENDED ONE, DO YOU THINK IT HELPED ANY?? WHAT WAS COVERED? IF YOUR IN TEXAS DID YOU TAKE ONE OF THE TWO GETHER IN TEXAS CLASSES?

TashaMarie349

Asked by TashaMarie349 at 9:32 PM on Jun. 9, 2009 in Relationships

• I went to precana (its pre marital counseling for catholics) as a non catholic and then I ran ran ran and never looked back. A little of it was the religious beliefs, I'll admit (I was point blank told that my love was not blessed by God because I wasn't baptized even though I had more respect for his religion than he did!) but it was also the fact that he had no backbone, no practical goals etc etc. Things I knew deep down but when staring me in the face, I left. It did take me a little longer than after the sessions- but I think that was the beginning of the end. I would totally reccomend them for everyone. Even if you don't think it mattered, it certainly didn't hurt.
    mrs_pulley

Answer by mrs_pulley at 9:41 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• Yes it helped,to this day my hubby and me talk about some of it's topics.It was a light course covering only the positives about marriage.Now some churches have more indepth classes and sometimes they will question if you and hubs are made for one another.Most people don't go that route but in a way it's better to face the awful stuff than later down the road in your marriage.
    countingsparows

Answer by countingsparows at 9:49 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• DH and I were married in '05 and had to attend marriage classes through our catholic church. I thought they were terrific. Even though we felt like we knew a lot about each other, we learned even more by going through the classes. It made us communicate better and our sessions with just our pastor were great too. He was a wonderful listener and knew what to say to help us think about things differently. The topics ranged from religious beliefs, to communication, to financial stuff, to family life. They touched on the major core areas.
    ap9902

Answer by ap9902 at 11:07 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• Our church at the time required pre marital counseling. We went for one long session with the pastor and several sessions with a therapist who specialised in this. Well worth it. I would think classes would be of the same helpful nature.
    lilangilyn

Answer by lilangilyn at 7:35 AM on Jun. 10, 2009