Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Can I take my child and move out of state???

Ok I have a 18 month old daughter, I live in Ohio, but am going to be having another baby in Jan. So I want to move with the baby's father, he lives 100 miles away in PA. My first child's dad lives here in Ohio, but is fine with me moving. So can I just go or do I have to go to a judge and ask or at least tell them where I'm going. We have no custody or visitation. Never been to court, we have just been working together. He dose pay child support. Can anyone help me. I don't know how to go about this and don't know of any lawyers to call and ask.....HELP HELP HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Answer Question

Asked by wghissymom at 9:36 PM on Jun. 9, 2009 in General Parenting

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (6)
  • to my knowledge i think you need a letter from the dad stating that he gives you permission to move your son away from whereever your living.. dont quote me but i think heh. good luck

    Answer by MommaBear1129 at 9:39 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

  • I f its fine with him and you don't have any court saying you can't then of course you can. I would contact the child support and tell them your moving, forward address...ect. But thats all. Good luck on the move hun.

    Answer by Iluvmygirlies42 at 9:39 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

  • If he doesn't contest you are fine, but you may have some state to state issues with child support. My dad owes me thousands! My parents lived in separate states.

    Answer by Steff107 at 9:45 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

  • If he is fine with it move.

    Answer by Anonymous at 11:14 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

  • Seeing he is fine with the move, ask him to put it in writing and have the letter notarized. Then there won't be any issues later on. If child support is done through courts or child support agency, just make sure they have your current address.

    Answer by tyfry7496 at 12:11 AM on Jun. 10, 2009

  • you can't have child support without going to some kind of court. if, he his giving you money then it's NOT CONSIDERED CHILD SUPPORT. It's just him taking care of his child. As, far as moving you can but he may not be willing to support your child since he won't be able to see her.

    Answer by Anonymous at 12:15 AM on Jun. 10, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.