computer help....

ok so i opened yahoo messenger this afternoon then it wouldn't close or let me click it at all. left it be so i could talk to hubby through emails (it wouldn't even let me log in) anyways, a few hours later still wouldn't let me close it, so i was gonna shut down the computer and restart it. well when i went to shut it down it said it had updates and wanted permission to do it, so i gave the permission and told it to shut down that was about 2 1/2 hours ago, it was still logging off until about 2 mins ago when i said screw it and figured out where the battery was and took it out. ( i know you aren't supposed to but i know nothing about computers and that was the only way i could get it to finally log off) it restarted ok and says the updates where completed but is there something that would make it take that long to log off? i mean it still hadn't logged off when i pulled the battery. so if anyone knows of something i CONT

vabchmommy

Asked by vabchmommy at 9:55 PM on Jun. 9, 2009 in Entertainment

• should go check out to make sure theres nothing wrong with it. hubby won't be home til sometime in august or sept so he won't be able to look at it til then. i have AVG virus protection if that is something you need to know, its a laptop and has the most recent windows (can't remember which one is the newest, vista or xp?) but i know it is the newest one. and the virus protection runs a scan every night at 4 a.m. haven't had anything come up, and its new i just renewed it about a month or so ago, so i don't think its a virus or something like that, unless its something that it missed. so ya, really no clue any ideas?
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 9:57 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• One of the last times my pc would not log off or shut down on it's own.....it crashed. Please...I don't want to scare you. Here is what my (halfway...I know) trusted computer guy came out and told me. I still don't completley trust him..but, he's fixed our chit...within a reasonable time...for a reasonable amount. Anyhoo....sometimes places or sites you go to...set your arse up with malware. For the time it takes for that chit to run and load...it can cause major grief! I have AVG too..but, he explained to me...you need decent malware protection also. Malware, adware, etc. Apparently, it all works the same. btw...malware protection can be downloaded for free...just like AVG.

Yanno I may not have the correct info here. I'm not completely computer literate. But, what he said..has not given me issues. And, my pc seems to run as fast when I run the malware protection...along with my AVG daily scan. Hope I helped some!
    Loryl

Answer by Loryl at 10:08 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• **completely**
    Loryl

Answer by Loryl at 10:12 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• when a program won't let you log off or exit... hold control, alt down for a couple of seconds, and delete down while still holding the other two... and you can choose which program to force off.
    If all else fails... hold down the power button for 10 seconds and the computer will shut itself off.
    lisa_ann_p

Answer by lisa_ann_p at 2:33 AM on Jun. 15, 2009