Need some advice...

I had my 26 week ultrasound & my Dr. found a echogenic(sp?) focus on the heart, & something wrong with the kidneys(I wasn't given specifics). I now need to go in for a Level 2 ultrasound & possibly an amnio. My question is, my appt. is in about 2 weeks, & the clinic told me that the amnio results could take up to 2 weeks...I don't really see the point in having the amnio. There's nothing that can be done about these findings now, & if something (god forbid) is wrong with m baby girl, it's not like anyone is going to love her any less. I'm having mixed feelings about getting the amnio b/c I think it's invasive & honestly am worried about the risks involved w/ getting this procedure. My SO really wants me to get the amnio though. I'm kinda torn & confused...any advice would be helpful...Thank you!!

mandi0986

Asked by mandi0986 at 9:56 PM on Jun. 9, 2009 in Pregnancy

• i wouldn't want to get one either, being that far along you aren't going to do anything about the results. why does he want it? does he want it b/c he wants to be prepared when the baby comes if there is anything wrong? maybe he feels that if he knows exactly what to expect, he will be better prepared and your home can be more prepared if there are specifics the baby will need. i personally would want to sit down and figure out the pros and cons of it. the pros: you would know exactly what to expect, you could find a doctor who knows more about whatever it is for your daughter know instead of later, you can research and know more about the issues, you can prepare your home (if needed) and make sure you have whatever your baby would need before you have her (medically wise etc...). the cons are the risks involved, and i'm sure you know what those are.
    sit down talk to him, find out why he wants to do it, it is his baby too CON
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 10:01 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• so you guys should discuss it, even though the final decision will be yours since its your body, it won't hurt to find out why exactly he wants to do the procedure.
    on a side note, i hope your daughter is ok and whatever, if anything she has is something that is easily taken care of. and just don't stress yourself, it won't change anything for you to worry for the next few weeks over what, if anything, is wrong with your baby. the reason you are going for another ultrasound before an amnio is that sometimes they are wrong and its harder to see things like this on a basic ultrasound.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 10:03 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• I understand why you feel that way. I declined the test to check if my baby was at risk for downs syndrome, etc. I wouldn't feel any differently if he was, and I wouldn't want anyone to have different feelings for him before he was even here. the only reason I would have the amnio would be if tehre was actually something they could do to help her befoer she was born if something actually was wrong. If you don't want to know, then tell them. it's compeltely in your right.
    StefanieN84

Answer by StefanieN84 at 11:37 PM on Jun. 9, 2009