I really must say...

that there is an awful lot of teen mom bashing going on tonight around here. I know you have your opinions and you are entitled to them. But you are not entitled to stereotype EVERY teen mom ever in existence as the welfare-mom-uneducated-high school dropout-slut-never-had-a-job-bad-mothering-stupid-going-nowhere people you think you know about. Just because you know someone or you saw a news story or read a book...doesn't mean you are a teen mom expert. Many of them own up, work, finish school, become successful, get married, have more kids, raise them right, and just hope that their children have it easier than they did and make better choices early on. And for those teens who come here to talk to a veteran mom because they are scared...aren't we the grown ups here? If, Heaven forbid, my own daughter ended up in that position one day I can only hope she would be given more kindness than teens are on this site.

ErinHill226

Asked by ErinHill226 at 10:10 PM on Jun. 9, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• I agree. I know some amazing teen moms that do a much better job than older moms that I know. Age doesn't always matter, it helps but it isn't the deciding factor in making a good mom. Determination, love, and willingness to learn are.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:51 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• THANK YOU!!!!!
    Mamakat90

Answer by Mamakat90 at 10:12 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• I agree! I have a niece who is a teen mom, graduated from high school EARLY and is now going to college, takes AWESOME care of her baby and is extremely responsible. Not everyone is like this regardless of their age. Just because you're a "teen" mom doesn't make you a bad person or mother, for those who think it does they need to get a life!
    finallyamom40

Answer by finallyamom40 at 10:15 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• I always feel bad for the teen moms on here. I know teen moms that are heck of better moms than some older moms. Age has nothing to do with being a good mom.
    Anonymous

• Amen! I couldn't believe what was going on today on here. I have a friend who was a teen mom. She had her first at 16. A couple of years later she married the boys father and they bought a house. She's now 23 with 4 kids. They are still doing good. It depends on the teen and it's totally unfair for them all to be lumped into the same category. It's just as bad as racism or sexism. Don't people know that "when you assume something you make an ASS out of U and ME"
    sadira29

Answer by sadira29 at 10:15 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• No problem. I just have this theory...and maybe I am wrong. But if a teen mom is on a site called Cafemom she is probably trying to do the best she can to raise a well adjusted human beings just as the rest of us are. If she were not...she'd be on like MILFS.com or something rediculous.
    ErinHill226

Answer by ErinHill226 at 10:16 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• damn straight! my sister was a teenage mom and she is 30 now and the best mom i know. and with never having had a mom of our own, she does one hell of a great job. finished school, has a great career, gets no PA and very little child support. her kids are on the honor roll and kick butt in every sport they play. she is down to earth, totally fabulous...and someone i truly admire and love. her being a teenage mom opened my eyes to so much...including not wanting to be a teenage mom myself bc i saw it was not easy...but everyone can do the great job she is doing...they just need some support in getting there. as a mom at 27, i dont know how she ever did it at 16...but she did. i love her for her strength and dedication to her girls.
    brodysmama23

Answer by brodysmama23 at 10:18 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• Why don't we just stop labeling mom's all together!! Teen moms bash older moms, older moms bash teen moms, and so on and so on! I was a teen mom, but I don't feel like I get bashed or was treated any different. I have seen it go both ways. Let's just appreciate that we are all different and special in how we parent our children. None of us are the authority on motherhood.
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 10:20 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• Amen to that!!!!
    ajguinn

Answer by ajguinn at 10:21 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• So true. I was only 21 when dd was born...but I was married to so I relate to both sides. I think too many people forget that this site is about supporting each other so we don't have to do this mom thing alone. If we all wanted to get bashed, I'm sure we all do enough of that to ourselves!
    ErinHill226

Answer by ErinHill226 at 10:29 PM on Jun. 9, 2009