Night terrors...again

Ok so I posted this question in the preschool section and got like this long textbook answer which was nice, I don't want to offend anyone, but if I wanted definitions I would've just looked it up myself. What I really want is to know if anyone knows how to help children get through night terrors, or any tricks of the trade to help alleviate them. It seems they're taking over my ds life and I don't know what to do to help if anything. If you want more information just go look in the preschool section under night terrors since I don't feel like posting the whole scenario over again. Thanks

ba13ygrl1987

Asked by ba13ygrl1987 at 10:22 PM on Jun. 9, 2009 in General Parenting

• My dd and I have night terrors. I felt so bad when she was little. My dh wakes me and I just start laughing. I have had some horrible night terrors and I laugh when I wake up because I am so glad it wasn't real. Pediatricians advised me not to wake up my dd but I did not really understand why. Sometimes I could not help hugging her when she was sitting up and yelling out. They went away after a while. I still have them before my period. I'm pretty sure it is some kind of chemical or hormaonal imbalance.
    writeon

Answer by writeon at 10:34 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• So your not suppose to wake them up? I didn't know this... Is this something I should talk to his pediatrician about for does and don'ts? What do I do when he's sitting there screaming or running into my room bumping into things cause he's not fully awake? This is horrible I've never been so at a lost on what to do for him, i've been able to "fix" everything up till this point
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 11:21 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• NO NO NO do NOT WAKE THEM. The doctor says that can be dangerous. Just lay there with them and make sure they don't hurt themselves thrashing about. They normally don't last long. My grandson had them. He outgrew his but they were scary to witness.

Answer by admckenzie at 12:29 AM on Jun. 10, 2009

• my 3 yr old DS has them. he doesnt normally get out of bed, or maybe i just wake up and go in there fast enough cuz of the screaming. its definatly horrible i jstu go in the and lay with him till its over. and try and comfort him, though i know hes still sleeping. hopefully theyll grow out of it soon!
    RhiannonHunt

Answer by RhiannonHunt at 12:47 AM on Jun. 10, 2009

• Thanks everyone, I really had no idea not to wake him. I guess I'll just keep doing what i've been doing and hope he grows out of it soon.
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 11:31 AM on Jun. 10, 2009