Is this normal for a two month old?

My 7 week-old son has days where he sleeps like the whole day, only waking up eat and then going back to sleep. Then he'll even have a normal sleep at night too! Is this normal? I'm just worried about him having his recommended amount of tummy time.

shiasmommy41209

Asked by shiasmommy41209 at 10:26 PM on Jun. 9, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• growth spurt. They sleep all day and can be bottomless pits.
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 10:32 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• Mine does that too! On days that she sleeps all day, I worry that she'll be awake all night, but she sleeps then too. Glad to hear it happens to others too. She also has the opposite - last night she slept about 7 hours, and has only slept 2-3 hours so far today. Hopefully she's pooped tonight - I know I am!
    leahs_mom_kate

Answer by leahs_mom_kate at 10:46 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• a couple things...first of all i have a 8 week old and he does this too, doc says its normal. also, sleep begets sleep, so if your baby naps well, she will be better able to settle that night and sleep well then too, The research says that at 3 months is when the sleep patterns begin to be more serious, for example when they get days and nights mixed up so as long as you aare working towards a scheduale by then just let her sleep. Yummy time is also when you hold her facing you on her chest, plus the floor stuff. When she naps and you will be near her to check, you can let her rest on her stomach. I do this with my son and sometimes he sleeps much better. i know that they say it reduces the sids risk, but over the yrs they have said that about a hundred things, so its a personal choice. Right now tummy time tends to put babies to sleep anyways so....
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 11:19 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• yes very normal...my son slept so much when he was that young. He is now 5 months and sleeps a bit but not that much. Enjoy it while you can! :) It won't last forever...
    leann74016

Answer by leann74016 at 11:33 PM on Jun. 9, 2009