What is your blood type?

If you know, what are the blood types of your immediate family members? I am B positive. My SO is B positive, so our LO is B positive also. My older son is AB positive, which is quite rare. O positive is supposed to be the most common and AB negative is the rarest. Let's see if that's true here on Cafemom.

DeTora_Family

Asked by DeTora_Family at 10:49 PM on Jun. 9, 2009 in Health

• O+

It is also the most widely used in blood transfusions because it is the universal blood type.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 10:51 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• I am b neg and my mom is o neg my dad is b pos... thats all i know
    ggiovanni

Answer by ggiovanni at 10:51 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• i'm A-. I'm not sure what my SO is but our son is A- as well
    r_elizabeth2290

Answer by r_elizabeth2290 at 10:57 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• I'm A+ and my SO is O+, i have no clue what our childrens is.
    jnsdrf

Answer by jnsdrf at 11:18 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• I'm not sure about my sisters, but my dad is O-, mom was AB+, I'm A+, so was my ex...both of my kids...my now DH is also A+...and so are his two boys.
    daisy521

Answer by daisy521 at 12:10 AM on Jun. 10, 2009

• O+, no idea what my son is though. I should find out because he will be having oral surgery and you just never know.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 12:18 AM on Jun. 10, 2009

• Nath you are wrong sorry. O- is the universal donor and also the second least common type. Someone who is negative CANNOT receive positive blood. That is why pregnant women who are negative need the Rhogam shot if DH is positive.

There are two alleles, A and B, and one cannot accept the other except in the rare cases where they have both AB blood types, and O has no alleles with it and cannot accept either A or B and that is why O- is the universal donor. A positive person CAN accept a negative blood and may well have a recessive negative gene themselves.

In our house everyone is O-, DH, me, and both kids. My father is O+ and mother is A-, DH's father is B+ and mother is O-.

If you really want to see this statistically you should put it in the polls section.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 7:19 AM on Jun. 10, 2009

• At one time, type O negative blood was considered the universal blood donor type. This implied that anyone — regardless of blood type — could receive type O negative blood without risking a transfusion reaction. However, even type O negative blood may have antibodies that cause serious reactions during a transfusion. Ideally, blood transfusions are done with donated blood that's an exact match for type and Rh factor. Even then, small samples of the recipient's and donor's blood are mixed to check compatibility in a process known as crossmatching. In an emergency, however, type O negative red blood cells may be given to anyone — especially if the situation is life-threatening or the matching blood type is in short supply.

aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 7:22 AM on Jun. 10, 2009

• I'm A+ & so are my oldest & yougest. My middle child is B- like her father which sux. Their fathers signed off on them so would have prob's getting right blood for her. No-one else in entire family has B-. But O- is most widely used & almost everyone in extended family is O-. Have 2 sisters/2brothers & half of them have A+ like me & dad, other half have O- like our mom.
    3Dani75

Answer by 3Dani75 at 7:39 AM on Jun. 10, 2009

• I am O- (and yep, I get the lovely RhoGAM shots). Universal donor, but so screwed if I need a transfusion as they've usually already used all MY type up! My mom and sister happen to be O- as well, though.
    My husband and son are both O+.
    RanaAurora

Answer by RanaAurora at 2:18 AM on Jun. 13, 2009