Is it mean to spank?

My son is 11 months old and when I tell him NO several times and he doesn't listen I spank him. I have tried everything else I can think of and nothing else has worked...I am horrible?

logansmommy711

Asked by logansmommy711 at 10:55 PM on Jun. 9, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I don't think spaking an 11 month old is right but its your child, your choice.

BTW, not many 11 month old children listen at that age. Have you tried distracting him with a toy or something fun when he misbehaves?
    Mama_Kimmy

Answer by Mama_Kimmy at 10:58 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• At this age, yes, I think it is. I believe in spanking for older children who actually understand the concept behind it.

At this age, redirect him. If he's interested in this - move him to that and get him away from what he doesn't need to be messing with.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 11:00 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• at this age yes. they don't understand why they are being spanked, they simply understand that you have hurt them. redirection works great at this age.
    jcsmummy

Answer by jcsmummy at 11:06 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• Define spanking. A little tap on the bottom like you would a toddlers hand is fine for a 11 month old. An actual swat is a little extreme. I agree with the pp. Try redirecting him. Good luck.
    sadira29

Answer by sadira29 at 11:07 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• I dont out and out swat him. I lightly pop his butt, just enough to get his attention.
    Redirection doesn't work on my son. He is VERY stubborn. When he wants something he is going to get it one way or another... Sometimes when I say "Do you want a spank?" then he stops doing what ever it is that he is doing, so it makes me think that he does understand. This is my first child so I am just learning.... Thank you all for you input
    logansmommy711

Answer by logansmommy711 at 11:19 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• Redirect, redirect, redirect. IMHO spanking an infant is a bit harsh. Redirecting a child is definitely a chore, some more then others as you see, but it does work and is the 'recommended' form of discipline for his age category. Good Luck and know you have a normal little guy on your hands.

Anonymous

• I agree with those who said redirect, it works for even the most stubborn children. You mentioned that he stops when you say spank, so he is minding out of fear. You want them to mind out of respect.
    LoriW

Answer by LoriW at 12:04 AM on Jun. 10, 2009

• I think spanking is the easy way out and def NOT the beast way. Discipline means to TEACH spanking teaches the young of a child abuse and for him to hit. He is just a young child!!! Of cource he doesnt understand no. I think that is abuse but thats my opinion. I think you should go to a parenting class. No offense its just what I did and it helped me SO much they dont even cost that much. I really hope you can find another mean of discipline because spanking especially at that age is not good. I know alot of kids spanked that young and theyre sad sad sad it hurts to see how much theyre parents are damaging them emotionally. Please STOP!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:15 AM on Jun. 10, 2009

• LoriW,

Spanking is not right!! Who wants there child to be afraid? Thats not discipline thats ABUSE your wrong for that and shouldnt spank
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:17 AM on Jun. 10, 2009

• I SPANK MY 14 MONTH OLD , WHEN I SAY NOO I MEAN NO !!! HE PRETENDS HE DONT HEAR ME. AND WHEN I SOANK HIM HE LISTENS, I GIVE HIM A LIGHT SLAP TO THE HANDS OR ON HIS BUTT. ITS JUST HARD ENOUGH FOR HIM TO UNDER STAND HE SHOULD NOT BE DOING IT.....
    aprilsalcro

Answer by aprilsalcro at 12:17 AM on Jun. 10, 2009