How do you stop putting a baby to sleep with a bottle? She's almost nine months. A mom told me that putting her to bed with a bottle could rot her teeth.

Asked by Anonymous at 10:58 PM on Jun. 9, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Don't let him have the bottle no more.

Answer by Mama_Kimmy at 11:00 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• if he falls asleep with the bottle wake him back up, then put him to sleep again. my little girl used to fall asleep w/the bottle all the time. so i started waking her up and doing bath time etc..after her bottle then putting her to sleep again. i made sure that bath time didn't last too long b/c i didn't want her fully awake for the rest of the night, but it worked. and after about a week she stopped falling asleep with the bottle at all.

Answer by vabchmommy at 11:00 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• Give her a bottle of water. It will not hurt her teeth and she can still have her comfort.

Answer by Nathskitten at 11:00 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• Im having the same problem i just toook my little ones binky away and now he wont go to sleep without a bottle and im worried about tooth rot as well so bump and imi excited to see the answers

Answer by serenaxxmarie at 11:00 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• sorry, she, i only saw the question that said how do you put baby to sleep w/o the bottle. yes letting her fall asleep holding it or with it in the bed can mess up her teeth.

Answer by vabchmommy at 11:01 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• its simple...don't let her have it in her crib.

Give her the bottle prior to going to bed...make it kind of like a winding down period. I get my girlie all ready for bed, changed into her pj's, dinner eaten, etc. and then she lays with me on the couch and drinks her bottle. then i take her to her crib and she goes to sleep with her pacifier.

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 11:14 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• All good answers!

Answer by Steff107 at 11:20 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• a bottle of water will too still hurt his teeth, when his baby teeth come in they will be forced to grow out instead of strait, and because of that his adult teeth will do the same, causing him to have braces. Just let him cry him self to slee, its what we did. And now my son dosent need a bottle.

Answer by mommy20081 at 12:05 AM on Jun. 10, 2009

• do not let your baby cry it out, that causes extreme issues later in life. I counsel teens and there is new research that the cry it out method destroys trust and causes insecure babies.

Answer by Bearsjen at 12:52 AM on Jun. 10, 2009

• My baby sleeps with her bottle still im trying to stop going to try giving her sippy cup at bedtime. see what happens

Answer by ginaaguayo at 6:10 PM on Feb. 19, 2012