does anyone here believe that God's name is Jehovah?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:20 PM on Jun. 9, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• my mom had a still born and the jehovahs witness people came like 3 days after the funeral and told my mom that my little brother was going to hell unless she did all kindsa stuff in the name of jehovah, i wanted to kill them!!!!!!!!!! children are born free of sin they go to heaven, and i think the jehovah religion is stupid. to each their own but i hate it when other people try to push their religion on others and i will forever hate the jehovah people because of what they had told my mom and that messed her up and made her hurt even more than before. i also hate it when mormans or christians or catholics try to push it on you! people can decide for themselves! stop pushing it!
    Anonymous

• oh and no i dont think thats gods name his name is god!
    Anonymous

• r u sure they were jeh. wit. because they dont belive that people go to hell.
    Anonymous

• God revealed his name to Moses as "I am" (the tetragrammaton - YHWH). Jehovah is an attempt to translate that name.

The pronunciation "Jehovah" rests on an mistaken understanding of the writing system of the Masoretes that resulted in the combination of the vowels of Adonai and the consonants "YHWH." Scholars trace the actual word "Jehovah" and its spelling to anywhere between the 1100s and the 1500s.

I tend to agree with most scholars that the more correct pronounciation is Yahweh.
    eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 11:39 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• No, I don't beleive any of the hooky mistranslated version.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:13 AM on Jun. 10, 2009

• i do, i've seen it in different bible versions, i even saw it in the catholic encyclopedia.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:17 AM on Jun. 10, 2009

• One of His names Is Jehovah.. it means Lord in Hebrew.
    I was told Jehovah Witnesses look through the obituararies and purposely knock peoples doors to tell them these things. I didnt know it was still happening. I was told this 20 yrs ago.

The still born is in Heaven no matter what those people say.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 12:39 AM on Jun. 10, 2009

• Jehovah is merely one of MANY, MANY names of God.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 12:48 AM on Jun. 10, 2009

• i'm a jw, i've never scrolled the obits. thats tasteless and extremely insensitive. We dont believe that people go to hell. We dont believe that God would torture his children that way. I do believe that your baby brother will be in the resurrection and be reunited with your mother. we really believe in what the bible says and we try to follow Gods words and Jesus' footsteps closely. Some of them do come off as a bit pushy, but thats not the religion, that's just their personality. everyone has flaws. be we do genuinely love our neighbors and that includes you ladies. all we want to do is spread Gods word. We love God more than anything and that's all that should matter. We try our best to obey the law, pay our taxes and be good people. We are normal human beings, we are soccer moms and avon ladies and doctors and landlords and construction workers, we're just like you and I think that's ok.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:02 AM on Jun. 10, 2009

• To the anon who doesn't like JWs - you don't have to, but the people who visited you were NOT JW. You were describing beliefs that JWs do not hold. Their non-belief in the usual Christian concept of Hell is one of the reasons orthodox Christians say that they are a cult. The only door-to-door religious people I've ever heard of who do push that belief are a certain type of fundamentalist Baptist.

About the name, eringobrough covered the salient points. :-)

Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 1:47 AM on Jun. 10, 2009