How can I arrange a childs room w/ slanted ceilings and only knee-high walls?

My 18 month old has been in our room since day one, I know sooner or later he will need to be in his own room but I'm having a problem trying to arrange it. The room is so small w/ the slanted ceilings that if I put his crib up against one side of the room the crib comes out to teh middle of the room.
Once he moves into a toddler/twin bed he will hit his head if he sits up in bed.
So frustrating, so if anyone has ideas please let me know. thanks.

cuteasabutton78

Asked by cuteasabutton78 at 11:23 PM on Jun. 9, 2009 in Home & Garden

• Can you dormer the room?

Answer by rkoloms at 7:17 AM on Jun. 10, 2009

• What is Dormer?
    cuteasabutton78

Answer by cuteasabutton78 at 8:11 AM on Jun. 10, 2009

• Dormers "square off" a slanted roof, creating more useable wall space--think of making a square out of a triangle. They are of course VERY expensive...but the return on your investment is equal if not greater should you decide to sell your home. Square footage and numbers of bedrooms and bathrooms greatly increase a home's value, so it does benefit a homeowner to maximize USEFUL square footage in a home with additions and expansions

Here is one project.

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 9:16 AM on Jun. 10, 2009

• AS for your EXISTING situation. Since space is tight, I would paint the walls and ceiling in the same pastel color, and place the bed in the middle, under the peak. Use the middle of the room to your advantage and consider buying an "all in one bed and storage unit! This is just ONE idea--I'm sure if you shop around (including Ebay), you can find similar styles that are much cheaper--just wanted to give you a visual!)  This would eliminate your need for dressers, storage bins, etc.

I'd also get some large beanbag chairs to read and lounge around on, and definitely buy side rails for the bed--until your child is older! :o)

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 9:30 AM on Jun. 10, 2009

• I like the thought of doing a shed dormer-it would add so much room but it's a big project (but hubby can do himself)
    I like the idea of the bed in the middle but the room is too small, if I put the crib/bed in the center you wouldn't be able to walk around it w/out hitting your head.
    cuteasabutton78

Answer by cuteasabutton78 at 2:04 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• since he's 18 mos, what about a toddler bed with a side rail, pushed against one of the walls? just a thought...
    princezzmommie

Answer by princezzmommie at 7:18 PM on Jun. 10, 2009