If you are on medicaid and have pets...

How do you pay for your pets medical bills?

IraqiVetWife

Asked by IraqiVetWife at 11:49 PM on Jun. 9, 2009 in Pets

• Most people have some other sort of income as medicaid only pays for medical bills. But if someone is on SSI or disability & has a pet I would assume they budget that money to cover the pet expenses. My Mom is on SSI & has a therapy dog & she has to be very careful to make sure she saves enough to cover the dog's care & expenses. But she would rather do without a few luxuries herself & have her therapy dog than do without him!! Also, I have heard that some vets will offer discounts on certain days or shot clinics or stuff like that.
    funnyface1204

Answer by funnyface1204 at 11:54 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• Establish a good long-term relationship with a vet & they will let you pay it out. If they don't, they're @$$holes.

I'm NOT on medicaid or assistance, and STILL have had to have payment plans on my pets several times. It was either that or let them die. Any vet that would opt to let my animal die just because I'd have to pay him $1500 over several months instead of all at once isn't a vet I'd want on my speed dial anyways.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 11:57 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

• I'm on medicaid and I have a savings account put away for my two little ones. I also have pet insurance which costs about 45 a month.

Medicaid isnt for poor people, it doesnt mean that you are homeless and starving, it just means you are low income according to your expenses.

youngfirsttimer

Answer by youngfirsttimer at 12:44 AM on Jun. 10, 2009

• I'm on medicaid, I'm poor. I only get cash assistance of 580 dollars rent of $600
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:56 AM on Jun. 10, 2009