Gall bladder problems during pregnancy

I am 30 weeks pregnant and I have been in the hospital about 6 times (lost count really but I'm close) with gall stones and 3 of those times it caused pancreatitis. The hospitals in my area are afraid to do more than put me on an IV and not feed me for 3 or 4 days until things settle back down.
I know a surgeon who can take my gall bladder out while I'm pregnant. He's done it on a woman who was 34 weeks along with no problems. I can't get in to see him for 2 weeks but it's just a consultation, but I have the number to a high-risk OB clinic who can get me in to see him sooner.
My question is; should I pursue getting my gall bladder out as soon as possible to avoid more problems or do I try to hold out for the 10 weeks I have left until the baby comes? If I have another attack I'd be tempted to drive the hour to the surgeon's hospital if I can make the trip in that much pain.

Paulam515

Asked by Paulam515 at 12:09 AM on Jun. 10, 2009 in Health

• Considering how serious your attacks have been, I'd do it. It's a more controlled risk.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:38 AM on Jun. 10, 2009

• Also, I've read where stress can aggravate my problem and my father has been diagnosed with terminal lung cancer. We don' t know how long he has. I am their closest child (geographically) and I would be expected to help should things get bad with him since my mother doesn't drive.
    Paulam515

Answer by Paulam515 at 11:10 AM on Jun. 10, 2009