has any one heard about "your baby can read?" and does it work?

i've always had troubles reading, so i want to give my boys a head start. i've heard about this program called "your baby can read" and was wondering if it actully works.

charli12987

Asked by charli12987 at 12:11 AM on Jun. 10, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• my cousin is actually using this with her daughter. she is 10 months old and she is already reading flash cards and seeing a certain animal and making the noise that it makes and everything. she's so smart! but "your baby can read" definitely helped! i believe it works, definitely. i'm definitely getting it for my daughter and starting it soon!
    psylees_mommy

Answer by psylees_mommy at 12:14 AM on Jun. 10, 2009

• I heard about it too. I don't know if it works, but I do plan on buying it for my son on his 2nd birthday in August. I figured what the hell, it couldn't hurt...lol.
    HisMommySince07

Answer by HisMommySince07 at 12:15 AM on Jun. 10, 2009

• Why would you do that to your baby?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:27 AM on Jun. 10, 2009

• do what to our babies?? help them possibly have a head start so they have an easier time once they start school??
    HisMommySince07

Answer by HisMommySince07 at 12:30 AM on Jun. 10, 2009

• No No NO!
    (1) It's a waste of money. You can make your own flashcards for far less than $200.
    (2) It does not teach reading. Any child can memorize what word comes next on a video or what a certain pattern of lines and circles means. That's sight reading, not actual reading.
    (3) Studies have found that kids who learn to sight read before they learn phonics quickly fall behind their phonics first peers and rarely catch up. This program is NOT a case of "what can it harm"... it CAN harm your child's long term success.

Do some research. Look up "Why Johnny Can't Read". If you want help your child learn to read, teach her to recognize the alphabet, then teach the letter sounds, then how to sound out words. Better yet, look up all the research on the long term benefits of free play in the toddler and preschool years.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:31 AM on Jun. 10, 2009

• I agree with kaycee, this is memorization, not actual phonetic reading. I do know that my son was under qa yr and he could "read " are you my mother by dr suess but it was because we readit daily and he knew the words from memory, but it made a noce party trick lol. I think that you can help your child get a head start better if you make flashcards and emphasize the phonetics as you show her them, and you can start at 1 or 2.it would be great if something like this were legit tho...and btw have some faith mom. You struggled but it doesnt mean she will and also I bet you will have alot to teach her because of those struggles :o).
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 12:35 AM on Jun. 10, 2009

• thanks kaycee, what made you think to look that stuff up or did someone just tell you about it??
    I was going to do some more research on it before I actually bought it, but I never thought it could make learning harder for them.
    HisMommySince07

Answer by HisMommySince07 at 12:36 AM on Jun. 10, 2009

• I saw the TV commercial and was curious. Like you said, who wouldn't want to give their kid a head start? But since it was so much money, I looked into it before I bit. Glad I did. I went to school with kids who mostly learned to sight read, most of them could not read at all in high school. Sad.

To help teach phonics in an easyway, try "The Letter Factory" DVD by Leap Frog. My daughter knew all of her letters by 2 and all of the letter sounds by 2.5. We've moved on to "The Talking Word Factory" which tries to show kids how the sounds work together to make words. She's starting to sound out a few simple words when we read stories - obviously I scan ahead and pick out the ones I think she can do.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:42 AM on Jun. 10, 2009

• I got it and like it but I guess it's not too good? too each their own I guess....
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 12:53 AM on Jun. 10, 2009

• It doesn't teach kids how to read, it teaches them to memorize. They will be able to 'read' the words on the flash cards or the tv screen, but nothing more.

You can't tell by looking around a room of adults who was reading at 2 and who was reading at 5, it doesn't actually give them a head start.

So_Blessed7

Answer by So_Blessed7 at 1:03 AM on Jun. 10, 2009