Prenatal diet~

I am what people call a pollotarian(No pork or beef, or red meat, only poultry). I'm six weeks pregnant and am wondering if I should start to eat red meat(even though it makes me gag), does it help with fetal growth and nutrition? I tried googling it but so many sides to it.
My bf keeps insisting but I made a vow never to eat that stuff again for health reasons. However, I dont want to deprive my unborn because of my own personal choices. What would you do?

youngfirsttimer

Asked by youngfirsttimer at 12:37 AM on Jun. 10, 2009 in Pregnancy

• There are always other ways of getting the nutrients you need without eating red meat.

But it sounds like you're craving it. There's nothing wrong with eating red meat, it's soooooooooo yummy especially rare. Go for it!
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 12:39 AM on Jun. 10, 2009

• Eat it there is a reason why you are craving it. Your body must need it!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:48 AM on Jun. 10, 2009

• If you eat red meat during pregnancy make sure it is cooked to at least medium or well done. Rare/med rare is not healthy during pregnancy. It doesn't sound like you are craving it, but even so, craving red meat doesn't mean anything!! If anything it may mean that your body is wanting protein or iron, but you don't have to get it from red meat. Just get plenty of protein from other sources and you will be fine. High dairy/high protein is supposed to be a good diet for fetal growth. good luck. And don't eat it if you don't want too!! No point in making yourself sick!
    mnt_2_b_mommy

Answer by mnt_2_b_mommy at 12:54 AM on Jun. 10, 2009

• lmaooo... I'm not craving it at all, as I said it makes me gag(nausea, makes me sick just smelling it) lol... No way, I just didnt want to deprive my unborn because of my decisions. I guess I'll do more research :)
    youngfirsttimer

Answer by youngfirsttimer at 12:54 AM on Jun. 10, 2009

• there are plenty of pregos who have healthy babies on vegetarian diets so I don't think that it is something that you should worry about too much. It won't hurt them as long as you have a balanced diet. Talk to your doc about a dietician or someone who can give you dietary support.
    tigerus

Answer by tigerus at 1:28 AM on Jun. 10, 2009