Help! Need ideas/recipe for a "potluck"!

This father's day we are invited to dh's friends house for food and pool party. Everyone has been asked to bring a sidedish as we are doing father's day and both my dh and dh's friends bdays. So one big party and I haven't made anything to take to someone else's house outside of my family in ages.

So, what would be something yummy and that would stand out? (of course you wanna stand out and get kudos for the dish!)

What are your best picks when you "potluck"? Please add recipe or link(s) THANKS!!!

NoDramaMamma

Asked by NoDramaMamma at 12:37 AM on Jun. 10, 2009 in Food & Drink

• i always make a dip type of dish. if you go to the question about 5/7 layer dip i put a recipe there that i make. or really easy and cheap, make ground beef and season it w/taco seasoning. then put it in nacho cheese dip (like tostitos cheese dip) put it all in a crock pot so it stays warm and you can plug it in at the persons house. than just bring the chips too.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 12:40 AM on Jun. 10, 2009

• It's not as much a side dish as it is great but Pillsbury.com has a contest and the best thing I've put in my mouth lately (food wise) is the recipe I found there for individual Breakfast quiches. It's quick and easy and amazingly delicious. You use crescent rolls for the base and fill it with the egg filling and spinach. I was shocked at how great this was. I take them now everywhere I need to take any kind of food! They never last long either!

Answer by admckenzie at 12:41 AM on Jun. 10, 2009

• Deviled Eggs. I have never been to a potluck where there has ever been one left. Everyone love a deviled egg.

OK... I know not everyone loves them, I don't need any hate mail about how I lumped you into the statement "Everyone" loves a deviled egg. LOL A lot of people like deviled eggs.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 12:41 AM on Jun. 10, 2009

• I also make pretzel wrapped smokies and they are delicious!
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 12:43 AM on Jun. 10, 2009

• We make pigs in a blanket (take little smokies, a can of refrigerated crescent roll dough and roll out the crescent dough and cut into 1/4 inch thick strips. Wrap around the little smokies and bake at 350 til the crescent rolls are done serve with spicy brown mustard), or my layer dip (also in the 5/7 layer q), or Spanish potato salad (take 6 yellow or red skinned potatoes, scrub them and boil them whole til they are just done...do not overcook...take them out of the water and slice into 1/4" thick slices. Also slice one white or purple onion into thin slices. In a bowl, mix 1/2 cup olive oil with 1/3 cup white wine vinegar. Toss the potatoes and onions in and mix withouth mashing the potatoes too much. Salt to taste. Chill well). Good luck!
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 12:48 AM on Jun. 10, 2009

• I make this thing, I guess you could call it a casserole lol. I just call it "chicken dish," but everyone that has ever tried it loved it. It sounds weird but promise it's GREAT!!
    Ingredients:
    3 boneless skinless chicken breasts
    a bag of doritos
    1/2 cup of chicken broth
    1 can of cream of chicken soup
    1 can of rotel
    1 bag of shredded cheese

boil the chicken breasts
    In a medium sized casserole dish, slightly crunch up the doritos 2 completely cover the bottom of the casserole dish, you want the pieces to be small, but not crumbs
    In a large mixing bowl, combine the can of rotel, cream of chicken soup, & chicken broth
    shred the chicken into small pieces and add it 2 the bowl of mixed ingredients, stir
    pour the contents of the bowl on top of the doritos in the casserole dish & use a spoon 2 spread evenly
    cover the top of the mixture w/ shredded cheese
    put it in the oven at 350 until the cheese melts,
    HisMommySince07

Answer by HisMommySince07 at 12:55 AM on Jun. 10, 2009

• cont. 30 mins or so is usually long enough
    HisMommySince07

Answer by HisMommySince07 at 12:57 AM on Jun. 10, 2009

• Here are some suggestions. Contact me for recipes.
    Pasta salad
    Quinoa and black bean salad
    Noodles and broccoli with peanut sauce
    Nachos
    Spring greens with beets and goat cheese
    Hummus with veggies and pita chips

Answer by rkoloms at 8:25 AM on Jun. 10, 2009

• Layer cooked lasagna noodles, homemade mashed potatoes seasoned with garlic and flat leaf parsley, shredded sharp cheddar or american cheese, and if you like sauteed onions. Bake at 350 covered in foil for 45 minutes. Uncover and bake for 15 minutes pierogie casserole.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 8:33 AM on Jun. 10, 2009