Leaving a 7 year old unattended

Is it okay to leave a 7 year old outside unattented in an un-gated apartment complex , while mom is inside with no view of the child for any amount of time?

wife_to_eric

Asked by wife_to_eric at 12:43 AM on Jun. 10, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I would never leave my kids unattended anywhere at anytime. Too much can happen in such a short amount of time. It is my job to keep my kids safe.
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 12:46 AM on Jun. 10, 2009

• I feel sad for the kid that this is even a question. NO.
    squish

Answer by squish at 12:47 AM on Jun. 10, 2009

• HELL NO!! THAT IS NEGLECT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SD777

Answer by SD777 at 1:29 AM on Jun. 10, 2009

• no not at the age of 7 and if she cant see her child there are possibility of some weirdo coming along and snatching her child from her every parent should be aware of where there kids are at all times and if u can see them its not neglect its just basically a poor judgment on the mothers behalf !
    ohmama213

Answer by ohmama213 at 1:44 AM on Jun. 10, 2009

• How well do you know the neighbors? I let my son play on the front porch sometimes, or the side of the condo but we have lots of windows. I usually leave one open to hear him too.
    tabtabmom

Answer by tabtabmom at 8:34 AM on Jun. 10, 2009

• Depends on the kid and the area but in general I would say yes it's okay. My kids play outside all day long by themselves while I'm inside doing what I want. They are 8, 7 and 6 and have had that privilege for a year now. We live in the city (Chicago) but not in apartment complex but we live a few houses from a rather busy street and people speed down our street something fierce. They are still allowed to ride their bikes from corner to corner and started walking home from school together (about 3 1/2 blocks) alone. I still pick them up but they are allowed to run off ahead of me and are usually home a good 5 minutes before I am (and out of sight the entire time).
    Heck, a lot of times the kids take their 3yo sister outside with them. They play out front, in our back yard (where we have a pool), at my son's friend's house which is 3 houses away or down at the corner where another friend lives.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 9:08 AM on Jun. 10, 2009

• I also meant to say that if the kid is outside and there is no clear view you should still check on them every 20-30 minutes. My kids are usually down the block playing so I obviously can't see them from inside the house but I go out to make sure they are all still alive every half hour or if I haven't heard them in awhile. I can hear them if they are within 2 houses of ours if the windows are open.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 9:09 AM on Jun. 10, 2009

• My son was about 7 1/2 when I finally decided to set him "free" to go play with his friend at our apartment complex we used to live in. There was a lot of kids that would play together, us moms had eachothers phone numbers and I gave my son a watch and told him specific times to check in, if he was late, I would go out to check on him myself.When he turned 8 I bought him his own cell phone so I could always be in contact with him while he was out playing.Yes, the cell phone has restricted incoming and outgoing calls.I always worry about him...I'm supposed to, I'm his mom,lol. But kids have to play...and for me to sit outside for hours while he's hanging with his friends is a bit unrealistic.Just have to be safe and smart about it.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 9:25 AM on Jun. 10, 2009

• No, but it happens all the time.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:25 AM on Jun. 10, 2009

• I also want to add that I had very specific rules that I gave to my son and made him repeat to me every time he was about to go out to play: Can't go into anyone elses apartment without asking me first and I MUST speak to the parent on the phone first,must not leave the apartment complex,if all his friends go inside, come in because I didn't want him out there alone, DO NOT TALK to Strangers...run straight home and tell me if someone tries this.He's 9 now and we live in a house, not an apartment complex anymore and he still carries a cell phone.He's allowed to meet his friends up at the park which is only a 5 minute walk away and I still give him a certain time to come check in...usually once an hour.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 9:33 AM on Jun. 10, 2009