Fever after shots

My 2 month old had her shots today and has a temp of 100.6 and going up.. how much baby tylenol can I give her and is there anything else I can do to help her??

MadisonsMom0408

Asked by MadisonsMom0408 at 12:45 AM on Jun. 10, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Baby Motrin is not okay for babies under 6 mo. and alcohol can seep into baby's blood stream through the skin so be careful how much you use, if any. As for the fever, don't worry too much about it. The tylenol will help bring it down or at least keep it at a good range and help your baby feel more comfortable, but don't over do it - too much tylenol is not good for baby's liver. A spiking fever is about the only type of fever that will cause any real damage (convulsions, brain damage, etc.) and if it spikes, it'll be too late to do anything about it. A slowly increasing fever won't cause any damage unless it gets into very seriously high numbers. Once baby is 6 mo. or older, you can alternate between motrin and tylenol (overlapping effective periods by about an hour) so that the fever reducer never wears off. At 2 mo. though, tylenol is the best you can do.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 2:08 AM on Jun. 10, 2009

• give her to the first line on the dropper. I think it is 0.3 or 0.4.
    you can rub alcohol or witch hazel on the area to take soreness away. My grandmother said alcohol can take a fever out too.
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 12:48 AM on Jun. 10, 2009

• the above poster is right. and just a future note for her next set of shots, if you give the tylenol about 30 mins before she is supposed to get her shots that will help with the pain and reducing the fever before it even starts. my doctor suggested this, and actually gave my daughter tylenol before her shots b/c she always gets a fever afterwards.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 12:51 AM on Jun. 10, 2009

• or if the tylenol isn't working you can give her baby motrin. I've also heard an alcohol bath takes fever away.
    HisMommySince07

Answer by HisMommySince07 at 1:25 AM on Jun. 10, 2009