Does the Cosmetic Industry really use fetal tissue!!??

So I have a question about the cosmetic industry using fetal tissue.
OK so yesterday I was talking with my neighbor about makeup and she brought up that she had seen a program on T.V. a couple years back that talked about the cosmetic industry being linked to aborted fetuses. She said the cosmetic industry gets collagen and placentas from China because they have the one child rule. She said on this program it was said that woman in China often carry to full term and then are forced to get abortions or China's government forces their baby to be killed by infanticide. She said the cosmetic industry prefers and will pay more money if the baby is carried full term because the bigger the baby the more collagen and placenta, she said that is sometimes why China's government waits so long to force the abortion. My question is does this really go on? I use makeup almost every day and after hearing this I am truly devastated. :(

michelle0228

Asked by michelle0228 at 12:50 AM on Jun. 10, 2009 in General Parenting

• If this is true then does any one know of companies that don't do this.
    michelle0228

Answer by michelle0228 at 12:51 AM on Jun. 10, 2009

• I have no idea. But I've heard of people using foreskin on burn victims.
    CamiiiCompasion

Answer by CamiiiCompasion at 12:51 AM on Jun. 10, 2009

• I heard that too.
    michelle0228

Answer by michelle0228 at 12:52 AM on Jun. 10, 2009

• They use human placenta in some soaps, shampoos and some cosmetics that contain collagen. Theres no regulations on checking up on where the placenta comes from cosmetic companies can get away with doing this.
    MamaLub

Answer by MamaLub at 1:06 AM on Jun. 10, 2009

• Well, they use infant foreskin for expensive wrinkle cream, so it would not surprise me if the cosmetic industry also used fetal tissue. It is completely unethical, but when millions or billions of dollars are involved, a company's sense of right and wrong can get very blurry.
    sallymoon

Answer by sallymoon at 8:59 AM on Jun. 10, 2009

• omg.thats disgusting.i just looked it up on the internet and there are plenty of stories that confirms this.My God, what is wrong with people?
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 9:09 AM on Jun. 10, 2009

• Ewww... that's awful about the women in China too... I knew about the one child rule unless its a boy, can't they have 2 boys? Anyways, so sad they have to have an abortion so late! WHY is is so hard to adopt kids?!!??!
    As for the make-up, I heard it too... disgusting....
    AshJoe05

Answer by AshJoe05 at 9:19 AM on Jun. 10, 2009

• I have no Idea if this is true or not but it does sound disgusting......I too wear makeup (sometimes) but my makeup comes from Middle Eastern markets that sell what is called Halal products and these products contain no animal fats and the soaps we use are also the same.....I called the companies and emailed the ones I couldn't call and have been assured that no human tissue is in these products either so it's something to consider (IT wouldn't be Halal if it had contained it, That was a comment made by most of their companies)....Wow I'm speechless in this whole placenta thing ......Thanks for the info I'm going to google and research on this a bit more.....Thanks again dear
    a_ramli05

Answer by a_ramli05 at 11:50 AM on Jun. 10, 2009

• Thanks for the info a ramli05 I'll look up Halal makeup. Oh and to Ashjoe05... in china you can only have 1 boy but if your first child is a girl or mentally challenged then you can request to have another child. I also read that getting a sonogram to find out the sex of the baby is illegal but there are people who do it illegally out of their van. So many people go to parking lots where they can find the illegal sonograms and if it's a girl they abort. :( Sometimes they even wait till after the birth to see if it's a girl or boy and if it's a girl they kill her. But I guess that's a whole other topic.
    michelle0228

Answer by michelle0228 at 1:21 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• Before buying or selling any skin care products, it is important to check the safety of the ingredients. I like the Skin Deep database maintained by the Environmental Working Group (the folks who publish the guide to pesticides in produce). www.ewg.org
    Avon and Mary Kay, among others, make a big public show of their support of breast cancer research and victims, yet refuse to stop using cancer causing ingredients in their products.

Answer by rkoloms at 2:17 PM on Jun. 12, 2009