DS is 13 and has a girlfriend

I looked at his phone pics. She is sending pictures of herself in a bikini. Do you think this is ok? I don't. Am I overreacting?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:15 AM on Jun. 10, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• Not in my house! I would be taking away his phone. It is a short distance between bikini pics and naughtier ones. I wouldn't let me 13 year old have a phone with picture or text capabilities.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:19 AM on Jun. 10, 2009

• I personally wouldnt even let my 13yr old have a phone. I was 13 once and got along just fine without one (i'm 22 so 13 was not that long ago).
    As far as the pics, ...well, i think it depends. is she actually at a beach or lake or pool or something? or is she just dressed up in her bikini for the hell of it and sending him the pics? it's not like he's not gonna notice hot chicks in their bikini's at the water park. ...
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 1:46 AM on Jun. 10, 2009

• But i would deffinantly bring this up with her parents as well.
    outstandingLove

• you can block the texting and pics on his phone through your isp. and i would. i would also contact her parents and let them see the pics before i delete them. they could not know about it either.
    what kind of bikini pics? i mean, if its her in a bikini looking sexy...problem. her in a bikini at the beach hanging out...maybe not.
    princezzmommie

Answer by princezzmommie at 2:14 AM on Jun. 10, 2009

• NO, I don't think you're overreacting.Thats way too young for that kind of relationship. I would get hold of that girls parents...I'm sure they wouldn't be too happy about what kind of pictures she's sending.That little girl must not know that she is sending the wrong kind of message about herself.These kids know nothing about sex,love and relationships with the opposite sex...well...they obviosuly know SOMETHING,lol...but not in a mature way.AHHHH!!! my son is 9 and I am soooo not looking forward to stuff like that,lol. I have always told my son I will have to beat the girls off with a broom,lol. Then I think...wow...hope I'm not creating a mommas boy, lol.All joking aside...innocent crushes at that age are normal but for kids that young to send pics that may be provacative will only lead to trouble.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 8:22 AM on Jun. 10, 2009

• The pics. are her posing for him in her bathroom taken from her phone. She doesn't even look her age in them. DH thinks I am overreacting but, doesn't like the pics. either. I always have to say what if our DD was doing this. Then oh that's bad.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:07 AM on Jun. 10, 2009

• First, about your son - it's not that unusal for kids to have gf or bf, but you have to make sure he is aware of what is appropriate at his age. I would also be very explicit to him in telling her not to send such pictures - encourage him to help her to behave and so that he doesn't get caught in the middle of sexting scandal. 13 sounds young, and some kids are very immature, but I know both my DS and DD had bf/gf at that age - it really depends on where they are in their head and also it depends what it means to them.

Second, if possible, I'd tell the parents in a non-agressive way. Just say you were surprised by the pictures and wouldn't want it to lead to other pictures - be it for you son or anyone else.
    PhillyinFrance

Answer by PhillyinFrance at 10:14 AM on Jun. 10, 2009

• My 13 year old was just doing this. I took her phone away. I gave her a phone that does not have a camera. She made a horrible mistake, and the picture got around her school. I made sure she understood that she was the one who took the picture, and then sent it. But she also claimed that the boys were asking for the pictures. So, I'd make sure that he's not the one instigating it.

I know its easy to blame the other child, that's what I wanted to do. It was easier for me to believe the my child was pressured into it, rather the just being that forward. 

It is so sad these days. These kids are growing up way to fast. They are coming into their sexuality way faster then I ever did. Good luck.

mommyaunt412

Answer by mommyaunt412 at 12:30 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• 13 and getting those pictures is a no no.... please sit down with your son about sextng and tell him the consequences as well. My youngest is 12.5 and if I caught that on his phone he would be banished from a phone for a long time.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 2:07 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• Well all of you grandma's need to chill. All you can do at this point is give him the sex talk. She is not naked atleast. You should tell him to invite her over for dinner so you can find out if she really is a skank or not.
    MammaBella

Answer by MammaBella at 8:53 PM on Jun. 10, 2009