how can I make a simple knapsack for my daughter, on my sewing machine?

Everywhere I look, there is complicated patterns that would take me weeks just to finish.. I'm a novice sewer, and looking for something cute, yet practical, to make for my almost-4 year old. S o... can anyone please help?

mamajody0507

Asked by mamajody0507 at 1:57 AM on Jun. 10, 2009 in Hobbies & Crafts

• This is a simple, free, backpack pattern. Shouldn't take you very long to do this one! Good luck and I hope you like it! http://sewing.about.com/od/freeprojects/ss/stringbackpack.htm
    gardenwmn

Answer by gardenwmn at 7:32 AM on Jun. 10, 2009

• I made my daughter one by first cutting 2 pieces of fabric into a rectangle. Sew them together right sides facing out. Fold them in half and sew down the sides. Cut a 6" wide strip of fabric as long as you want the strap, sew that in half lengthways and then attach it to the sides of the bag.
    kustomkrochet

Answer by kustomkrochet at 8:19 AM on Jun. 10, 2009

• to be honest with you I am a beginner sewer myself and I cannot read a pattern at all !! I just try to figure out what the thing is that I want to make and how it should look. I then just kinda go from there. It may not be 'right' or perfect but for the most part I am proud of my projects. I make my sons Halloween costumes every year last year was Mr Potato head (check out my homepage to see pics) I am sure if I got a pattern and tried to follow it I would have messed it up big time. Another thing I do it to have an already made item of what I want to make on hand so I can refer back to it. G/L Post a pic when you get it made

justgrape723

Answer by justgrape723 at 9:49 AM on Jun. 12, 2009