My daughter has a weird smell behind her ear...

I clean her ears every other day when i bathe her.. just the outside part and behind her ears... but i was giving her kisses just now and got a weird smell behind her ear..

it smells like the scent of something infected or something idk.
she doesnt seem irritated by it at all

Should i just do nothing about it? and see if something happens or what?

MomNbabyGirl009

Asked by MomNbabyGirl009 at 2:04 AM on Jun. 10, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Huh, that's strange. Give it a day or two and see if anything comes of it. If she doesn't have a fever and doesn't seem irritable, then she's probably fine. Does your pedicatrician have a nurse line you can call? If so, call and ask what you should do!
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 2:09 AM on Jun. 10, 2009

• It may not be behind the ear. It could be an ear infection. My girls get them a lot and that is the only way we know because they are so used to them they just don't react much. If it's not an inner ear infection it could be a skin infection, either way get it checked out.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 2:17 AM on Jun. 10, 2009

• if its behind her ear it may be a yeast infection. when she drinks her formula or breast feeds and milk runs out of her mouth it goes behind the ear and under the neck. if it isn't wiped out and cleaned really well it gets stuck in the folds and can become a yeast infection. my daughter had a chubby little neck so she got them there all the time. i would take her in to the doc to get it looked at b/c like the above post said it could also be an ear infection. if its either the yeast or ear infection it needs to be treated. and if its either one of those she may end up being more prone to them so you'll know what to look for in the future
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 2:33 AM on Jun. 10, 2009

• Are you sure it's her ear and not a radiating smell from under her neck? My daughter got a bad smell under neck if I didn't make sure to wipe after each meal.

HMHUTSON

Answer by HMHUTSON at 3:10 AM on Jun. 10, 2009

• yes, i always wipe her neck after feeding.. and i checked her neck to see if it smelled and it didnt.
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 5:34 AM on Jun. 10, 2009

• my dd had the same thing, crusty stuff behind her ear and neck. dr. said to put aquaphor on it after its cleaned. seemed to help, crust went away. prob. from the heat and the crease thats back there. just make sure its dry and clean and put some ointment on it.
    clransom

Answer by clransom at 8:02 AM on Jun. 10, 2009