how can i explain that nightmares aren't real?

i son woke up crying and said birds were coming to get him. is there any way i can explain to a 2 1/2 yr old that it wasn't real?

exxOHjackie

Asked by exxOHjackie at 2:05 AM on Jun. 10, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• sure. just tell him it was a dream. it was in his brain while he was sleeping. And the next time he goes to sleep tell him to dream of happy things. whatever he likes. Also, tell him that because it's just a dream that he can do whatever he wants in his dream. He can turn around and chase the birds away! Kids understand more then most think they can. Explain this to him a few times and he'll understand.
    My son is 3 1/2 years old and has had a general understanding of what dreams are sense about 2yrs old.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 2:17 AM on Jun. 10, 2009

• tell him it was a movie inside his head. my son got that.
    princezzmommie

Answer by princezzmommie at 2:21 AM on Jun. 10, 2009

• I said it was just pictures in his head. I then gave him one of my stuffed animals to protect him.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 8:02 AM on Jun. 10, 2009