Sleep through the night? ADVICE PLEASE!

My DD is 7 and 1/2 months and she wakes up about once or twice in the middle of the night to eat. She has a baby food dinner (1/2 can vegies and 1/2 can of pasta/chicken..etc) She usually stops about half way through with each jar. She is in bed by 8 pm and wakes up around 1 AM or 2 AM to nurse. Then she falls back to sleep and wakes up again around 5AM/6 AM to sleep for another hour or two (She rarely sleeps straight to 7/8 AM but it does happen sometimes). Is this normal? Is there anything I can do to help her sleep through the night??

tbear2008

Asked by tbear2008 at 2:12 AM on Jun. 10, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• thats actually a really long amount of time to sleep. That IS considered sleeping through the night.. if its 5-6 hours straight that is STTN....
    I think her schedule sounds really good.
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 2:14 AM on Jun. 10, 2009

• GIVE HER SOME MORE TIME. BUT JUST A SUGGESTION... WHEN SHE DOES WAKE UP TO NURSE, KEEP THE VISUAL STIMULI TO A MINIMUM. NO TV, OR LIGHTS, NO EXCITED MOMMY SONGS. THIS MAY HELP.
    NURSE_MOM_OF_2

Answer by NURSE_MOM_OF_2 at 2:15 AM on Jun. 10, 2009

• So that is normal? How long until she REALLY sleeps through the night? Thanks for your advice ladies!!!
    tbear2008

Answer by tbear2008 at 2:16 AM on Jun. 10, 2009

• Try nursing right before bed. Even when they won't take any more solids, they might take milk which will help fill her up before bed. (I actually used to have to supplement with a bottle right before bed...I never produced enough milk in the evenings). Then, when she does get up in the middle of the night, try relaxing her back to sleep instead of nursing (someone besides the milk machine might have to do this). She's likely just used to eating at 1 am and therefore hunger comes to call at that time. She might wake up again an hour later - if so, feed her and just keep trying to push it back a little every night. Hopefully, you'll eventually push it all the way back to morning! It'll be rough for a few weeks! There is no physical need for her to eat in the middle of the night at 7.5 mo., so really its just habit. (unless she's going through a growth spurt...unlikely if this is a constant thing)
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 2:16 AM on Jun. 10, 2009

• What does STTN stand for?
    tbear2008

Answer by tbear2008 at 2:17 AM on Jun. 10, 2009

• Of course, mine slept 12 hours a night at 4 mo...so I have higher expectations than most!
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 2:18 AM on Jun. 10, 2009

• Five hours IS sleeping through the night for an infant. Don't expect dusk to dawn in year one. It CAN happen but often doesn't.

And I have to disagree about needing to eat...if they wake it's because their blood sugar has dropped and they do indeed eed to eat to bring the levels back up. You might consider not feeding solids less than two hours before bedtime. It can help.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:20 AM on Jun. 10, 2009

• Sleeping through the night...
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 2:20 AM on Jun. 10, 2009

• That is absolutely the norm. Someone else said try to nurse her right before bed. My son and daughter slept like this. I would have to nurse them 2-3 times a night. What worked for me was to give them a slightly smaller portion of baby food at dinner and when it got closer to bed time I would give them a warm bath and then some mommy one on one time. THen I would let them nurse a little longer than usual. When they would go to sleep they would usually sleep 4-5 hours before needing to nurse and then back to sleep for another 4 hours.
    etsmom

Answer by etsmom at 3:48 AM on Jun. 10, 2009

• my son was the same way! it was hard. but he started sleeping all night about 10 months old. i didnt change anything i did he just learned to fall back asleep on his own. maybe let your baby cry for 5-10mins and see if your baby will go back alsleep on their own.
    DilsMommy

Answer by DilsMommy at 5:41 AM on Jun. 10, 2009