What is a "normal" age difference?

Just out of curiosity... is it o.k. for a 30 some year old man to date/have sex with a 19 year old, or vise-versa, or what about a 20 year age difference or more? What if it's just about sex? Isn't that kind of perverted?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:30 AM on Jun. 10, 2009 in Relationships

• I mean man/woman age differences.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:32 AM on Jun. 10, 2009

• I SAY NO MORE THAN 10 YEARS, AND BEFORE SOMEONE BITES OFF MY HEAD, LET ME EXPLAIN WHY... THE YOUNGER OF THE TWO INVOLVED IN SEARCHING FOR SOMETHING IN A OLDER MATE WHO THEY HAVE NOTHING IN COMMON WITH. THE OLDER OF THE TWO IS LOOKING TO MANIPULATE, FEEL YOUTHFUL, OR MAYBE LIKE YOU SAID - A LITTLE PERVERTED. THIS IS NOT SAYING THAT ALL RELATIONSHIPS WITH A LARGE AGE DIFFERENCE DO NOT WORK, BUT FROM PEOPLE I CARE ABOUT GOING THROUGH IT, IT HAS NEVER TURNED OUT WELL.
    NURSE_MOM_OF_2

Answer by NURSE_MOM_OF_2 at 2:36 AM on Jun. 10, 2009

• I agree with Nurse
    And again would like to say that some large age difference couples can work out. ppl come from all different walks of life. But the majority of them are bound for failure, some of the reasons for this are listed in the above response.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 2:44 AM on Jun. 10, 2009

• I like your philosophy- I agree. I know of a few people who had this age difference thing, & for many reasons, it didn't work well, usually. I personally wouldn't feel right being with someone that was my son's age. I just don't see how 10 years or more in age difference how people would have much in common...except sex!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:50 AM on Jun. 10, 2009

• I think it depends on the people and not so much the age gap, but their ages going into it. A ten year gap to a 19 year old and a ten year gap to a 28 year old are completly diffrent. My SO and I have a 13 year gap and are doing great. He was not seeking out a younger woman and I was not looking for an older man it just happened. I don't think I could ever say it can be no bigger a gap than x years. Because every couple is diffrent.
    Alanaplus3

Answer by Alanaplus3 at 2:55 AM on Jun. 10, 2009

• Dating? age doesn't matter. Sex? same thing, age doesn't matter but long term relationship without major problems I would say 2 - 5 yrs age difference.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:31 AM on Jun. 10, 2009

• My boyfriend is 35 and I'm 19. I'm not for younger girls dating older guys for the reason taht older men tend to take advantage of them. My boyfriend isn't like that...he knows I've been a parent and will protect my son from anyone I feel I need too....we're both wanting a relationship that may or may not lead to marriage..it works for us...But if it were a 16 year old and a 19 year...I wouldn't let it go on in my house...
    sarapurser

Answer by sarapurser at 5:24 AM on Jun. 10, 2009

• All I can tell you is that my father was 13 years older than my mother and they were happily married until he passed away 5 days before their 49th anniversary.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 7:10 AM on Jun. 10, 2009

• BTW  a large age gap closes as you get older.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 7:11 AM on Jun. 10, 2009

• My uncle is 13 yrs older than my aunt, they've been together for nearly 30 years. The guy I'm currently dating is almost 7 yrs older than me, and it isn't presenting a problem for us. He's 36, and I'm 30. I think, for the most part, it's a matter of maturity, and where the two people are in their lives. I think that an 18 or 19 yr old, even a 20 or 21 yr old is in a very different place than a 30 yr old, and that is why, for the most part, I wouldn't date someone younger than me like that, but sometimes they can be very mature and it can work. I can't see why a 50 yr old and a 25 yr old would want to get together, but if they see something and it works for them, great. I don't think there's a set # of yrs that you can say is too much; I think it all depends on the people involved.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 7:59 AM on Jun. 10, 2009