old baby clothes = quilt?

I have a few pieces of my daughters baby clothes that I just adore. I keep them stored in hopes of making a quilt of them someday. Here is where my question arises... for someone that knows little of the art of sewing, how easy would this be?

McErin48

Asked by McErin48 at 2:43 AM on Jun. 10, 2009 in Hobbies & Crafts

• Okay, I have both, saved clothes to pass to my daughter's daughter (hoping she has a daughter) and clothes I saved to make a quilt from. Many of the quilt clothes are onesies or they even have stains that I will work around. Some are courduroy and velvets.

I am going to make a crazy quilt from the clothes. If you aren't familiar with it, a crazy quilt has no set pattern. Just odd shaped pieces that are fit together until the quilt is the size that you want. And they are usually embellished with ribbons and buttons and stuff. With so many different types of fabric, a crazy quilt is the ideal way to use them. You don't have to worry so much about stretching of fabric or the grain.

Do a search on 'crazy quilt' and you will see what I am talking about. Quilting is very easy. Try it first with some other fabric and you will get hooked.
    casperskitty

Answer by casperskitty at 2:24 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

• I think you should continue to store them, can you image how sweet your grand daughter will look in them?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:02 AM on Jun. 10, 2009

• All it takes is a basic knowledge of sewing to make a quilt. You should join the Quilting Moms Group...
    http://www.cafemom.com/group/627 Lots of wonderful moms there to answer questions and also some great getting started tutorials!
    gardenwmn

Answer by gardenwmn at 7:27 AM on Jun. 10, 2009

• awww, thats such a great idea! But I'm right with you on the sewing part,lol. I'd probably just have a seamstress do it for me,lol.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 7:56 AM on Jun. 10, 2009

• It's not that hard at all! I've seen a lot of quilts like that. My advice, though, would be to use only woven fabrics, preferably cotton and flannel, because they hold up better. Knit fabrics are hard to sew a quilt with because they stretch and distort.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 8:09 AM on Jun. 10, 2009

• My mom saved my daughter's receiving blankets. And sewed them together and took them to a woman who can quilt really good and had her finish it. So now my daughter has a quilt made out of her baby blankets from my mom. She's gonna do the same with my son's blankets.
    Princess02266

Answer by Princess02266 at 9:57 AM on Jun. 10, 2009

• receiving blankets, love that!
    McErin48

Answer by McErin48 at 12:57 PM on Jun. 10, 2009