Are there any tightwads out there?

I am a huge fan of Amy Dyc...(decision) and her Tightwad Gazette. What is the cheapest thing you do? I reuse zipper bags and aluminum foil ... as many times as possible.

mrssullivan

Asked by mrssullivan at 3:50 AM on Jun. 10, 2009 in Just for Fun

• LOL! I reuse Ziploc bags until my sister threw them away in disgust and said we weren't "that poor". I use baking soda and vinegar to wash. I cloth diapered and made my own baby food, I sew ruffles onto her pants so she can wear them longer (she grows taller faster than she does wide), cook from scratch, and qill use reusable menstrual products.
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 4:53 AM on Jun. 10, 2009

• I reuse ziploc bags, aluminum foil, butter tubs, coffee cans, spice jars - you name it. I've never heard of reusable menstrual products, so MoonLover 66 has that one on me. I refuse to buy things like commercial jewelry cleaner, car wash soap, "new" dog bowls (why, when they'll eat out of 20 cent bowl I found at a garage sale? I shop for all of my "odd" dishes at garage sales - ex: I have one set of matching coffee cups for guests... but the other 30 are all mixed-matches from garage sales. I guess I've found so many ways to avoid paying retail prices for some things - that I really enjoy the things that I do buy retail, because I can afford a little better quality since I save so much on other stupid stuff.
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 8:29 AM on Jun. 10, 2009

• Oh, I guess the Cheapest thing I do it melt leftover candles and pour the liquid into ice trays thus making scented cubes for my warming pot - works like a charm and none of the candle is ever wasted.....
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 8:33 AM on Jun. 10, 2009

• I mix my own vinegar and water and bleach and water and put them in reusable spray bottles to clean. I also only use 1/2 as much laundry detergent than I am supposed to. My clothes come just as clean!! I reuse zipper bags, too! I will never turn down something someone gives me. If I can't use it, I either save it until I can, or give it to someone who can use it.
    drowninginboys

Answer by drowninginboys at 9:36 AM on Jun. 10, 2009

• I save fragments of soap and boil them to make a new bar. When my pantyhose has a run in it, I cut off that leg and use it with another one legged pair. I mix cheese soup with real cheese to stretch it. I buy thrift store dirtiest, grimy clothes (cheaper) for the notions, i.e.,elastic, buttons, hooks/eyes, zippers. We create our own cards. I use 3X5 cards to remind me of appointments, goals, etc.
    Ewadun

Answer by Ewadun at 11:40 AM on Jun. 11, 2009